Notices

Struggling with the first five days and staying sober

Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with the first five days and staying sober

Hi guys, know this isn't a unique problem with us drinkers but I've been actively trying to sober up for 6 months now and im struggling, im finding it really hard to get past day 5. Well I've never got past it so far . I'll decide to have a glass of wine whilst cooking and become a functional alcoholic for a few weeks and then become a chaotic extreme drinker with all the crappy things that come with it. Same cycle all the time. My heart wants to be sober so much but my body and mind seem to be conflicting with it. So after being kicked off yet another job for my drinking last night im now back on day 1 for the millionth time. I really need to put in a plan this time because the more i mess up the more angry and hopeless i get with myself and feel like giving up with giving up if that makes sense.
For my plan so far i have decided to,
** stump up the courage to go to a meeting
** go to the gym everyday
** speak to my gp and see if i can get some affordable counselling and maybe something to help me stop feeling so anxious (which is how i ended up in this mess).
** get a part time day job, so im not in a drinking environment five days a week like i am now.
Im going to start doing these things from tomorrow. I'd be really grateful if anybody could share with me any tips or tricks be it mental or practical that helped them personally get past the initial period and stopped them from relapsing. I know this site is full of them scattered about but writing down my plan is part of the plan! I understand no medical advice either, but im not looking or feeling good at all, so if anybody has any ideas about how i can improve and repair myself quicker id really appreciate that too. Thanks, Khloe Xx
Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...w-members.html

Here is a link you might find helpful.
Good job with making a plan! You can do it!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Khloe

I think finding more support and not being afraid to make changes in your life to help you stay sober are the main things to focus on.

There's also some good tips and tricks for cravings here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I think you need to read and listen to a great thread Stomper has started.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iety-song.html
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im probably not anyone to give advice since I'm only on day 5 myself, so I'll offer my sympathy and encouragement instead. YOU CAN DO THIS.

I've tried to white knuckle my way to sobriety in the past and always screwed it up exactly the way you describe- by having a glass of wine while making dinner. This time feel very different though. I spent a few weeks curtailing my consumption and concentrated on eating healthy so when I nixed alcohol completely my body at least had some healthy stuff already in it. That seemed to help me.

The other thing I'm doing this time is just RELAXING...taking things slower physically...but even more importantly taking things slower emotionally. I'm working at keeping my anxiety in check- sometimes by nothing more than ACCEPTING that I'm anxious. I keep telling myself "it's all right. You're all right. Of course you are feeling anxious. You are going thru a HUGE transition"
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what got me though the doors of my 1st AA meeting started with wanting help.
then I got the courage to do it( I needed that to get through the fear).
then I did it.
then I decided I wanted what they had and was willing to go to any lengths to get it( to find out what they had, I read the first 164 pages of the big book quite a few times. it read real good to me!).
then I went to any lengths( attending as many meetings as I could was part of them lengths).
none of them lengths were illegal or hurt me.
what kept me from caving to the craving,compulsion, and obsession before the miracle happened was knowing that alcohol wouldn't help anymore.
then I saw alcohol never helped.
been sober since that 1st meeting.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Khloe, I think it's great that you see you are stuck in a pattern and have worked out a plan to help you get past it. I know how hard it is to break the cycle of addiction.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get the support, and make the changes you need to become sober for good this time.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck Khloe, everyone is behind you xxx