Notices

What to do

Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do

My wife and I have been married 20 years. She is now, and has been for several years, drinking nightly. In her own eyes, its not a problem because its wine and beer and she doesn't drink and drive, she also hides it from the kids well. But, her nightly verbal abuse to me is intolerable. I feel trapped because we have a chronically ill daughter at home. ????
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like a tremendously difficult situation. Have you considered going to an al-anon meeting?

Might be good for you to have a supportive place of community as a starting point. If your wife doesn't believe there is a problem, probably nothing you can do will 'make' her.... but trying to talk with her at some point about this very openly and honestly and sharing your concerns in a caring way is probably also a step worth taking....

May you find support to care for yourself as you face this situation
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi 20yearsnow, I can relate , I drank whilst my husband didn't, every night, wine until I passed out on the sofa. My husband suffered it for a few years.

I'm sober now, but however much my husband wanted me to stop, I thought I could control the drinking and didn't want to stop, until he left me. Being in my own for a while was like a cold shower, I woke up from my fog.

There is a hope for your wife but how it comes about, it has to be her doing , I think. I'm sorry for what you're going through, especially with your very ill daughter to care for.

There are plenty of experiences to read and information in the stickies at the top of the page, take care of yourself.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd also suggest AlAnon for support for yourself. We have a special forum just for friends and family of alcoholics. Give it a look.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 20yearsnow

I'm really sorry for your situation - but I'm glad you found us.

I think the AlAnon suggestion is a good one, as is visiting our Family and Friends forum.

D
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your situation. Just know that you are not alone and that there are wonderful people on this site who can help and support you.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am sorry about your situation but I am glad you found this forum. The people on here are a real source of comfort and a wealth of knowledge and support.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome 20yearsnow. I do hope you'll check out the Friends & Families Forum as Least & Dee suggested. Many people there are going through the same thing.

I know when I drank I didn't realize how it changed my personality. I became very confrontational & edgy - which is the exact opposite of the real me. I hope it'll help to be here. You're never alone.