Notices

Help! I think I'm starting to lose it

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! I think I'm starting to lose it

Hi-

I went back to work this week after being on leave and it has been a whirlwind of emotions. Coworkers are not as supportive as I expected and I'm finding it really difficult to get back into the routine. Actually I should say, I don't want the same routine because it consisted of working and then going home to drink.

So, I feel like I'm trying to create a brand new routine and the cravings that have been gone for months are now flooding back. Does it get better? I know it's only been a couple of days but I am just so scared of losing what I have built up that I have horrible anxiety.

Any thoughts to share or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been reaching out to others all day and that has helped. I'm trying to do that more often to replace the cravings. I just feel like I'm going crazy with the obsessive thinking and all of the emotions. Almost like I'm in my first week of no drinking. Aghhhhh!

Thanks for listening and for your support as always.

Inca

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm too new at this to give you any real advice, but it does really feel like routines trigger cravings...or maybe they aren't so much really cravings at all...just very engrained routines. I curtailed my drinking back significantly while hubby was recently gone on a business trip. Easy peasy. Soon as he got home and daily routines returned so did my "cravings". I think we just got to learn to break the cycle of these routines. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Heck you already ARE doing this! Hang in there!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After work, go straight home, change your clothes, eat dinner, log onto SR. I agree with Milly, there are certain routines that we developed over the years that need to be broken. Do not stop at the store after work! Do your grocery shopping early in the morning on Saturday or Sunday. You have gotten past the withdrawals and physical addiction, now you need to establish new routines.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Inca--I felt the same way today--and had the same routine you had (work, home to drink). I am only on my 5th full day, but I have been driving home after work, changing into gym clothes, then walking my dog, then the gym. also have done a meeting in the evening and went to see a counselor I am now seeing.

During the day, I am trying to take new routes to get places at work, not going to the same place for coffee every morning like I used to. Basically alternating things all day to vary routines on the whole.

Have a great day tomorrow!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It absolutely gets better. Developing new habits is tough particularly if nearly all of your old ones involve drinking as is the case for so many of us by the time we stop. Take a bath. Take a walk. Have tea. Have dessert. Read a book. Go back to a hobby you left on the shelf. Throw the ball for the dog. Get wrapped up in a new tv series. Try meditating. Watch a funny movie. Keep trying new stuff until you find a toolkit of things you can do that are fun and occupy you and then do them at times you used to drink. That's been working for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I went to the extreme. When I quit drinking I was on stress leave and when it was getting to be time to decide when I would go back I decided that I wasn't going to go back to that job. Crazy thinking I know, but for me the job wasn't good for me mentally and I was afraid it would set me back.

I have never regretted my decision and I know I made the best decision for ME.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stick with it girl, it's going to get better. I've been in the exact same shoes and unfortunately it was only timeout it passed. It's gonna be okay.