Notices

Day 10. I feel great, but...

Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10. I feel great, but...

Here I am on day 10 and I feel amazing. The first six days were pure torture and I'm shocked that I made it through. IT WAS SO DEFINITELY WORTH EVERY OUNCE OF PAIN & DISCOMFORT!!!!! I feel so good physically that I'm a little scared. For those of you that are further along than I am, should I be focusing on the present day or should I be preparing for the future? I'm TERRIFIED when I think about this summer and not being able to drink (loved sitting on the deck in the sun or going to the lake with a cooler full of cold beer by my side every day). And I'm terrified thinking about how I'll do in a social situation (haven't been in one yet since I quit). I can NEVER drink again. NEVER. Luckily I don't go to bars. I've mostly been a solo drunk, drinking by myself. Should I just be thinking of today? I'm starting to get nervous that this is too good to be true. I've been waiting for this day for about two decades and I still can hardly believe I have got this far.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're at the same place, if that helps. I try not to think "never again" and just think "not today". Personally, I'm grieving. I have lost a friend. Not a good friend, but an old friend. World is scary sober.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's really an inspiration. I can't answer your question because my desire to be sober has been a complete failure. but, you seem to be off to a great start.

May i ask a couple questions? How much were you drinking per day, and what kind of withdrawals did you go through? Quitting is something i want so bad, but it feels like jumping off a cliff with no parachute. I don't know what to expect.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jayelle! Way to go! I stopped drinking in January '85. By one day at a time, I had the most wonderful summer of '85! Read "The Promises" often, follow the suggestions at AA meetings, and they will all come true!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jayelle, first of all congratulations, 10 days is amazing. Second of all, I was just like you, I couldn't imagine an afternoon, let alone a Friday afternoon, and then a Saturday night……The weird thing is that sober becomes just as normal as drinking did (but a whole lot better), the first time I did anything sober it was weird, I couldn't believe how loud people chewed popcorn at the movies.

At the beginning I had to stay in the now, but I had the same thoughts. Sometimes I would think, "I am not going to drink today" and other times "just not right now". And once I had 10 days, 20 days, etc, I also became protective of that time, I knew that if I did it right I would never have to do it again.

And by doing it right I don't mean that there is a perfect way to get or stay sober, I mean that I changed a lot of things, where I went and who I went with, no alcohol in the house, being on SR a lot….and every day it gets easier. The thing is, now I see a sunset and actually remember it, I'm not jonesing all day trying to get stuff done so I can hit the bottle, that second voice in my head that was always calculating how much I can drink, when, how can I get more..it's gone and I don't ever want to give it the space to come back.

It is pretty cool when we surprise ourself with our success, it is a huge accomplishment, and I feel like everyone here and out there fighting this fight is courageous. At the beginning just going to bed sober is a huge deal, I really babied myself for the first three months. It is a marathon not a sprint…that thought helped me. And on the days that I don't feel like I am accomplishing too much, I still remind myself that I am accomplishing the most important thing I need to do.

Great job Jayelle!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jayelle113 View Post
I can NEVER drink again. NEVER. Luckily I don't go to bars. I've mostly been a solo drunk, drinking by myself. Should I just be thinking of today? I'm starting to get nervous that this is too good to be true. I've been waiting for this day for about two decades and I still can hardly believe I have got this far.
Hi I personally would insert the words "in safety" to "I can never drink again."

BE WELL
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Jayelle ,
I've done 2 summers sober now, other than when i was a kid . I find other drinks are available if i'm out and about with friends , quite often by being the first one to order a soda water quite often others join in with me staying sober as they would rather not drink but feel some peer pressure .

Try to not worry overmuch about the future just keep on working on making your sober life as great as possible

When people offer me drinks these days , i get a shock of surprise that they would so readily offer me, what to me is a poison . It's a good shock and it always makes me smile to refuse a drink .

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Try not to project too much. You've got a lot to enjoy in the present moment, so don't let your worries get the best of you. You've started a new chapter in your life, and it takes time to learn the local customs.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just focus on today. That's enough responsibility right there. Congrats on ten days sober!