Notices

Thank you GOD the power is back on

Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Thank you GOD the power is back on

Because I work BOH at a restaurant I had no clue it was snowing in Richmond. Got home, no power. It was so cold I could see my breath (-7 with the wind chill). I hid under 3 blankets and put a towel over my face. Then I heard squealing. It was my poor guinea pig freezing. So I put her under my blanket and she fell asleep. She did poop on me but I'm not to mad about it.

I did do something I said I would (from a different thread). I called a friend to ask if his power was out too. He said no , but you can come over, I have a bunch of beer. I told him 'I'm trying to quit'. Not surprisingly his response was 'yeah right'. I casually explained that I was having health issues based on drinking. That made a little more sense to him. I told him, 'maybe we can get a cup of coffee tomorrow' and he said that'd be fine. I expected him to give me a lot of crap but he seemed okay with it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah I basically got that reaction too from people. To the ones that really matter, I told them and they don't drink in front of me. We are still great friends. They did give me crap though...

To the ones who actually made fun of me or got mad that I wouldn't go get drunk, I didn't really talk to them much after I started trying to get sober.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

The power being out reminded me of a sad story (sorry, just being sentimental)

When I was 3, my father almost ran over a box turtle. He stopped and picked it up, brought it home. He named it Belushi, and it was my best friend for a long time.

When I was 26 I still had him. I was at my gf's place and the power went out. Bitter cold, much like today. She was out of town. Her cats that did not like me crawled under the covers to stay warm. The power was still out the next day. It hit me out of the blue, 'is Belushi okay'. He was dead. Froze to death. At 26 I cried like a little girl.

My gf was back 2 days later and we came up with this idea that we would take him to the James River and just sorta 'cast him off and let him go'. I wrote a short speech where I apologized to him. I put him in the water, the current brought him back. Tried again, same thing. I picked him up, kissed his shell, told him I was sorry, and threw his as far into the James as I could. He floated away.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see your power is back on. That sucks when it's this cold. Sorry about your turtle (obviously a long time ago), but if it's anything like it would be for a mammal they say freezing is not a bad way to go.