Notices

I'm surprised I'm not dead: blackouts and pass outs

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm surprised I'm not dead: blackouts and pass outs

I finally just read about these. I really didn't know what either of them were. Had no idea they were neurological and the brain was just shutting down to protect our bodies. During these last few months, I've had a sufficient amount of blackouts. Moreso before. I can count at least three. I didn't know they had any etiology behind them. Just chalked it up to a night where I got really drunk and forgot things. And God knows, I passed out a lot over the past year. How many times did I hover on the verge of death with alcohol poisoning? Geez.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is we never have to have them again

D
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I should definitely be dead by now and the fact that I'm not and never hurt anyone whike intoxicated is enough to make me believe something "out there" is looking out for me. Not sure why...but I dont expect the good luck would last forever
Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have behaved horribly, yelling, screaming, arguing with strangers, I hear this the next day from friends who found it funny, to me it was mortifying, that pit in your stomach you get, thinking "Oh no, what did I do or say this time"? Lucky I do not drive, never severely hurt someone, but losing potential boyfriends, and friends and acting a fool, I am tired.. I like the sober me, well better than the drunk me.. I don't even drink every day, just the weekends, but those are the times when anything can happen, I'm 39, time to make a change. This has been going on for 5 years now, since my Mum passed from Alcoholism, I am struggling, but feel grateful to be around people on this site that can relate and won't belittle me for seeking help, or think less of me, Love and blessings to you all.
Aussiegurl
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to drink until I passed out. It was a regular occurence for me. Not now. I could never put my body through that again.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Wow, I didn't know it was about the brain shutting down either. Just as well really - sometimes passing out was the only thing that was going to stop me drinking.

Like Dee says, thank God we never have to black out or pass out from alcohol again.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been there and got the box of T-Shirts!! it was a scary place!!

But . . . WE don't have to go back there!!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's why I'm here. I don't want to die. My aunt died from alcohol poisoning leaving her kids as orphans. My husband's uncle died from alcohol. We both have someone pretty close who died just from a night of drinking.

The other day I took a second to think about if I wrote something online while drunk and didn't remember, and then realized I don't drink anymore so that's impossible :P. I'm still trying to recall things from blackouts but I don't have them anymore. It's pretty nice to know there's nothing I don't remember. Well, within the past 10 days anyways.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My big problem was the blackout drunks too. When I got after it there didn't seem enough alcohol in the world. Sure don't miss that.

The great thing is not spending all night chasing and all the next day recovering. So much more time. It gets better for sure.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Terrifying isn't it? Don't dwell *too* much on the 'what could have happened' and just make sure you're living sober so nothing like that can ever be a concern again!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In the beginning of me getting sober It was said that our organs in general were being slowly destroyed by consuming the non health drinks containing alcohol as it's toxic. Drunks are very hard to scare as we suffer from terminal uniqueness.
My wife is a Hospice nurse and has said the deaths involving alcohol are about the worst she has encountered in years of practice.
It's also a horrible way to go, choking to death on your own vomit while passed out.

BE WELL
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just glad I'm not living that life anymore.