New here. Where to begin....

Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Where to begin....

I am 42 year old father of 3. Recently divorced. My father drank from my aged 10 to about 18 heavily. He stopped and has 25+ years sober. My parents are still together. That is they live under the same roof. Not a real marriage. I see and love and get along with both of them as do both of my siblings.

I woke at 3am and stumbled on the characteristics of ACoA. I fit about 7 of them.

I found a group in my area that meets at times that is tough for me to attend but I may do what I can to get to a meeting.

What should I do? I wouldn't consider myself a complete mess. I have good job, my 3 kids are more 'normal' than I ever was. I have managed to hide and cope and have done very well using my damaged little brain to get by. But I feel I am missing something big in life that just never seems to be there.

Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's never too late to investigate. Since you said you fit 7 of the characteristics it worth looking into. Keep reading here and see what helps. Writing a blog of my experiences that I suffered at the hand of my alcoholic father helped me. I have heard that it helped and never did it until I came to this forum. After each post the responses were so helpful that I decided to analyze it and blog it here.