Notices

Being sober in a drinking household

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sober in a drinking household

So what do you guys do?

THEY don't have a problem with alcohol, I DO. So I do not expect my husband to give up his two beers a night. He NEVER gets drunk. EVER.

I am moving the wine rack to the basement, because we have some really nice stuff that I'd be happy serving in the future for a big family meal, because then I don't have to have any. No one would give me crap about it.

We also have a liquor cabinet. Again, not the big problem. I'm hoping it won't become one when I don't have wine around. So far in my binges/problems, it's always been wine.

My sons are all over 21 and they drink too, again, no problem drinkers (as far as I know).

Any hints?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I personally think that if he (or anyone else) doesn't have a problem with drinking, then he'd have no problem not bringing it in the house, at least for a while.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a problem for a lot of members here.

I think the solution is a good support system, Maggie Mai...having sober people to lean on to help you through temptation.

D
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MaggieMai I was a wine drinker too and I live in a household where the other two enjoy a drink but never abuse alcohol. I did a few things that may be of use to you:

1) I relocated the wine glasses to a different higher shelf.
2) Any wine I have in the house is wine I don't like.
3) If there is any wine leftover after people have been here I throw it out.
4) and this is the most important: I have really nice sparkling water and San Pellegrino chinotto on hand, I pour a glass before the witching hour of 6pm
Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it was a matter of being really honest with myself about why I was quitting drinking and why I didn't want to drink anymore.

Bf was still drinking a lot when I first got sober. But I looked at where drinking was getting me and decided it wasn't where I wanted to go.

I was never jealous that he was drinking and I wasn't. I was proud that I was sober and he wasn't.

Perhaps you could have a serious discussion with the other's in your house about keeping it away from you?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My support system was asked by my treatment center to avoid drinking around me for two years. I actually think that's a little excessive, but it takes a long time for your brain to heal and become stable again that even the sound or sight of someone else drinking can trigger us without even realizing it.

I'd keep it out of sight for sure and ask your husband for some support for a couple of months. Can't he have a few outside the house? Or out of sight? If he only has two beers a night, would it be that big of a deal to stop drinking for awhile? He might not have any idea that you're thinking about it (if it didn't bother you at all you probably wouldn't be posting). If he knew that it helped you for him to stop for awhile, he may gladly do it. Just a thought.....
Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Because alcohol will kill me, my partner never brings it into the house.
In a weak moment I wouldn't want to see it there.
My partner stopped drinking, there is never alcohol in the house, and my kids don't drink around me either.
Lucky me.
They really wanted to be part of the solution for me:-)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think it's ideal to have all that booze around, but things are what they are. You deal with life as it comes, and make the best of things as well as you can.

Just don't drink any of it!

Pretty complex solution, I know.. I'm a wizard with this stuff..