Notices

Step One Outline

Old 01-18-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Step One Outline

We Admitted We Were Powerless Over Alcohol - That Our Lives Had Become Unmanageable ~ A Brief Outline

1. Every “natural” instinct cries out against the idea of personal powerlessness (defects of the thinking mind.)

2. We perceive that only through utter defeat are we able to take our first step toward liberation and strength (making the admission we are unmanageable by us.)

3. Until we humble ourselves (accept the devastating weakness and all its consequences), our sobriety, if any, will be precarious.

4. The Principle: We shall find no enduring strength until we first admit complete defeat (that probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.)

5. We are victims of a mental obsession - thinking (drinking is only a symptom) so subtly powerful that no amount of human will power could break it.

6. By going back in our own drinking histories, we could show that years before we realized it, we were out of control, that our drinking even then was no mere habit, that it was indeed the beginning of a fatal progression.

7. Few people will sincerely try to practice the AA program until they have hit their bottom through utter defeat.

8. In order to practice AA’s remaining eleven steps WE MUST ADOPT NEW ATTITUDES AND TAKE NEW ACTIONS.

9. We must become as open minded to conviction and as willing to listen as the dying can be.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

...conceding to our innermost selves that we are alcoholic and can not drink....

thanks for posting, Steppin2!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the spiritual paradigm where I have mostly hung out, the little ego-self is an illusion – but a powerful illusion that becomes entrenched in the consciousness and takes control, generating its own soap opera, trying to conform the world to that soap opera; and is so vain that it can seldom resist playing in other people’s soap operas (which is sometimes called enabling).

For me – once I see that, really see it, and not just pay it some intellectual lip service – then admitting powerlessness is just recognizing the illusion, and opening myself up to a wider scope and the possibility of connecting with the larger, real power source.

With that said, just recognizing it is not, for me, the “last step” of the 1st Step. I still need to let it penetrate, and to keep that wide-open mind that realizes how paltry and small that illusory ego-self really is. Just “talking” on here about it helps that process (as well as whatever insightful feedback I might get – but just writing and posting it helps).

[Note: The concept of “ego” in eastern traditions is somewhat different, and generally in line with what I wrote here, than in western traditions. Neither concept is right or wrong, and each is valid in its own paradigm.]
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

The Doctor's Opinion is most helpful for step 1
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am only 2 days sober. It seems to me that the 1st step is the easiest one and the hardest one. Logically, I feel defeated right now. How did I let myself get this far into alcoholism??? But on the other side of the coin, I have this arrogant thinking that if I can just dry out for a while, I could return to moderate drinking.

I'm trying not to put myself in that frame of mind. The anxiety of never being able to have a beer at a concert or a glass of wine on a date night is overwhelming.

Take it one day at a time, right?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KitFreed View Post
I am only 2 days sober. It seems to me that the 1st step is the easiest one and the hardest one. Logically, I feel defeated right now. How did I let myself get this far into alcoholism??? But on the other side of the coin, I have this arrogant thinking that if I can just dry out for a while, I could return to moderate drinking.

I'm trying not to put myself in that frame of mind. The anxiety of never being able to have a beer at a concert or a glass of wine on a date night is overwhelming.

It doesn't really matter how we got here. For me, understanding how it happened is a luxury. What am I going to do about it? Well, now, that is the right priority today!

And yes, one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time. Some times one heartbeat at a time. But when the obsession to drink hits my mind, if I just sit down and don't move until it passes, what can happen to me? I ask the spirit that moves in all things - if I have to pick up today, let it be a phone I pick up to ask for some help!

Keep coming back!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steppin2 View Post
We Admitted We Were Powerless Over Alcohol - That Our Lives Had Become Unmanageable ~ A Brief Outline

1. Every “natural” instinct cries out against the idea of personal powerlessness (defects of the thinking mind.)

2. We perceive that only through utter defeat are we able to take our first step toward liberation and strength (making the admission we are unmanageable by us.)

3. Until we humble ourselves (accept the devastating weakness and all its consequences), our sobriety, if any, will be precarious.

4. The Principle: We shall find no enduring strength until we first admit complete defeat (that probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.)

5. We are victims of a mental obsession - thinking (drinking is only a symptom) so subtly powerful that no amount of human will power could break it.

6. By going back in our own drinking histories, we could show that years before we realized it, we were out of control, that our drinking even then was no mere habit, that it was indeed the beginning of a fatal progression.

7. Few people will sincerely try to practice the AA program until they have hit their bottom through utter defeat.

8. In order to practice AA’s remaining eleven steps WE MUST ADOPT NEW ATTITUDES AND TAKE NEW ACTIONS.

9. We must become as open minded to conviction and as willing to listen as the dying can be.

Good stuff! You did a great job creating this list! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProgressNotPerfection View Post
It doesn't really matter how we got here. For me, understanding how it happened is a luxury. What am I going to do about it? Well, now, that is the right priority today!

And yes, one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time. Some times one heartbeat at a time. But when the obsession to drink hits my mind, if I just sit down and don't move until it passes, what can happen to me? I ask the spirit that moves in all things - if I have to pick up today, let it be a phone I pick up to ask for some help!

Keep coming back!

Describing it as an obsession is perfect. It's not that I crave a buzz as much as I can't stop thinking about it. It has become such a part of me that I feel like something is missing. Thanks for the response and encouragement
Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Somebody else once said: "Our disease has three stages: impulsive, compulsive, and repulsive." This was my experience as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

"I have this arrogant thinking that if I can just dry out for a while, I could return to moderate drinking."

this is just part of our life being unmanageable or obsessive, or.....
Old 01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
"I have this arrogant thinking that if I can just dry out for a while, I could return to moderate drinking."

this is just part of our life being unmanageable or obsessive, or.....
A part of life just being so many things, I suppose.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Someone once said that once we've been pickled, we can never go back to being a cucumber and I believe them. I might suggest staying sober for a while and read posts from others who have tried to return to moderate drinking. Me - I'm a pickle.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProgressNotPerfection View Post
Someone once said that once we've been pickled, we can never go back to being a cucumber and I believe them. I might suggest staying sober for a while and read posts from others who have tried to return to moderate drinking. Me - I'm a pickle.
You have some really great tokens of wisdom! Thank you!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm just a parrot! Best of everything to you and yours!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I believe the thinking that you can just dry out for a while then return to moderate drinking is more delusional than arrogant.

yes, one day at a time. let tomorrow take care of itself.

you just may be amazed that, when you are in a better state of mind, how nice a concert or a date night is without alcohol.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I believe the thinking that you can just dry out for a while then return to moderate drinking is more delusional than arrogant.

yes, one day at a time. let tomorrow take care of itself.

you just may be amazed that, when you are in a better state of mind, how nice a concert or a date night is without alcohol.
Delusional, yes I'm trying to see straight but can't seem to see it yet. With out seeming melodramatic, I am just trying to focus on the evening hours looming ahead. I'd like to handle them positively.

My husband and I have been drinking buddies for 13 years. Sober fun will be a new/terrifying adventure.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Describing it as an obsession is perfect. It's not that I crave a buzz as much as I can't stop thinking about it. It has become such a part of me that I feel like something is missing. Thanks for the response and encouragement
"The idea that somehow, someday he may control and enjoy his
drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The
persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of
insanity or death." (Big Book -3rd. Edition)

Welcome to Alcoholics Anonymous. It appears you have qualified
for membership in our great fellowship.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UncleMeat69 View Post
"The idea that somehow, someday he may control and enjoy his
drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The
persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of
insanity or death." (Big Book -3rd. Edition)

Welcome to Alcoholics Anonymous. It appears you have qualified
for membership in our great fellowship.

Thank you. I've considered many times attending AA. Maybe at some point, I'll be brave enough to step inside. For now, I have a local one saved to my calendar so I don't forget about it. The thought of seeing someone I know is terrifying. And I guess really, really, real.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you. I've considered many times attending AA. Maybe at some point, I'll be brave enough to step inside. For now, I have a local one saved to my calendar so I don't forget about it. The thought of seeing someone I know is terrifying. And I guess really, really, real.
Knock and the door will be opened !
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Once, this guy quit drinking and came home from work really depressed. His wife asked him what was wrong and he said he was ashamed that the neighbors might find out he had quit drinking.

"Well," said his wife, "that isn't too hard to remedy! Tomorrow, come home from work three hours late, park in the front yard on the grass, fall out when you open the door, crawl up to the front door, bang on it and yell until I open it. The neighbors will think you're still drinking!!"

We are always the last ones to figure out we're alcoholics! This I'm sure of - we can't save our face and our butts at the same time - we have to pick one! I'm really glad that today you've choose your butt!

All the best!

-