Notices

what do you do when a craving strikes?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what do you do when a craving strikes?

I could use some personal successful strategies. I've noticed when I have a few days sober and reality starts kicking in I battle intense cravings. It's like for a moment I forget just how much I want a sober life, and before I know it I am planning on getting drunk again. The other day I literally stood in a room for about 20 minutes battling with my AV. I could feel what was like an adrenaline rush when I thought about drinking.

In my whole drinking career I have never faced these cravings, mostly because I never wanted to quit like I do now. I never spent enough time sober to really have the time to develope an intense craving.

Over the past 5 or 6 months I think I have been blacking out a lot as well. I don't remember much after a few hours of drinking, and seldom remember laying down to pass out. I'll wake up and things will be a mess I don't even remember getting into. Food all over the floor, beer cans in strange places. Just a mess.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My cravings aren't as strong anymore, but I used to just sit and think about what would happen if I drank. I definitely had those panic moments where I couldn't fathom not having a drink again. In those moments, I thought long and hard about what drinking has done for me. Eventually, the craving dissipated.

More tangible solutions could be eating something sweet or exercising. Both will likely trigger the physiological chemical rush your body wants.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would try to occupy my mind and body with other things. Housework, shopping, walking my dogs. Walking my dogs was a good strategy cause it gave me more than just something to do. It gave me sunshine and fresh air and exercise, all of which I needed.

Tell your AV to stfu. Pay no attention to it. After more sober time that voice will get fainter and fainter til you can't hear it at all.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something is definitely happening to me with the blackouts. I need to get this under control. I'm having a hard time caring about myself right now.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I try to remember what the day after feels like. I also remind myself that alcohol does NOT make anything more fun. That is my AV talking. Any time I've had fun drunk, I would have had a better time sober and might have done something productive the next day.

The fun I remember was the socializing and being around people. So instead of going to a bar or liquor store, try going to a movie or take some sort of class. If you have any sober friends or friends who will hang out without drinking, plan to do something with them on the day you would usually relapse. I would say keep yourself very busy. If you sit around at home on the day you usually relapse (especially if you ALWAYS do that) then the same thing will happen all over again. You have to actually change the way you spend your time to break the habit of having that first drink.

Expecting to maintain your life exactly the way it was before but without alcohol is all part of the insanity. It's the AV trying to win out over your desire to quit. Throw that AV a curve ball and change it up.

You can do this!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As above, play the tape through in your head , always the same outcome.

Grind it out, stare at a wall for a few hours just don't drink.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and I hope your bumps on the road to sobriety are manageable.

In my early days it was suggested to not think about drinking. I made myself imagine many good and horrible thoughts. It worked as the desire left in a few minutes usually. Another big help was the idea that if I didn't have the first drink I wouldn't have to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A quick burst of exercise, enough to make you focus on your heart rate/ breathing helps me.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have learned the harder I fight the AV the more insistant it gets. So I just acknowledge the voice for a minute, say yes I do want to drink, but than I play the tape forward and do not like whats playing so I grab my glass of ice water that I always have by me and take a big chug. there Im drinking!! so shut up voice and go sit in the corner. I am also proactive if I even think its going to be a trigger day I leave wallet and all money at home, and I come here to SR!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I now its time to get out of my head when I have those thoughts. Those thoughts are the addiction working on me. Try this: 1) I call a friend who knows I am trying to quit and ask about their day; 2) do something randomly nice for someone else as soon as you can; 3) I pray and ask for the feeling/thoughts to be removed. In early sobriety, its often hunger as well that is telling you to drink because alcohol was a major calorie source. Try eating a snack and see if the thought goes away. Good luck. Just don't drink!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To me it was all about having a plan or a purpose for the day. As an active drinker, my day was specifically planned out to optimize as much time for drinking as possible. I planned out how I would get my alcohol, where i would hide it, how I would drink it without people knowing and always had several "escape" plans should I need more beer. I worked extra hard so I could leave early and have a few beers at my local watering hole before I got home. You get the point - I spent my entire existence planning how to drink.

I finally realized that if I ever wanted to get sober, I would have to put the same amount of effort ( and possibly more ) into planning out my day as a sober person. Initially that meant literally writing down my schedyle for every hour of the day. I planned out where I would go, what I would do, etc. I planned meals ahead of time, activities with my family, neglected projects, reading, whatever - idle minds lead to drinking so don't let your mind get idle. And don't plan on activities or events that revolve around drinking - especially early on.

It's very hard work - and it takes a lot of time. But you can do it if you really want to.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Distraction, Distraction, distraction..............

I'm trying to do this myself today.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread!! It is just what I need at just the right time. I'm at work, 11:30am, realizing that I have about an hour to myself after work with no kids, just enough time to grab a small bottle of wine. (I won't buy alcohol with my kids anymore). I was planning it all out. But wait... NO I'm only in day 5 and I feel great! I don't want to ruin this - again. It feels too good.
Cravings are so hard early on and our natural, almost automatic impulse is to act in them. It takes work and energy and thought control to push them away. It's easier to cave, but when we are right back where we started.
I'm not doing it , not today and today is all that matters right now.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can relate to that feeling of euphoria/adrenalin rush when thinking about a drink, I got that often, my whole mood would change when I've decided to drink. It is so difficult to resist when those cravings strike, but it can be done if you want sobriety bad enough.

I try to remember that those 'good feelings' when drinking are so temporary, and the remorse and guilt (and hangover) last a lot longer.
Exercise is great in early recovery too!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Eat food and drink water. Most often the craving was from dehydration or hunger but your brain is a screwed up alcoholic and thinks the signal was for more alcohol.

Other times the craving is a different type, its a literally I want to be drunk and ridiculous and throw all cares to the wind and act like a goon.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thats what I was like until sunday thank you great advise
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you thats what I was like until sundy great advice

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
To me it was all about having a plan or a purpose for the day. As an active drinker, my day was specifically planned out to optimize as much time for drinking as possible. I planned out how I would get my alcohol, where i would hide it, how I would drink it without people knowing and always had several "escape" plans should I need more beer. I worked extra hard so I could leave early and have a few beers at my local watering hole before I got home. You get the point - I spent my entire existence planning how to drink.

I finally realized that if I ever wanted to get sober, I would have to put the same amount of effort ( and possibly more ) into planning out my day as a sober person. Initially that meant literally writing down my schedyle for every hour of the day. I planned out where I would go, what I would do, etc. I planned meals ahead of time, activities with my family, neglected projects, reading, whatever - idle minds lead to drinking so don't let your mind get idle. And don't plan on activities or events that revolve around drinking - especially early on.

It's very hard work - and it takes a lot of time. But you can do it if you really want to.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely a rush when I think about drinking and I'm in the middle of a craving. Also, my face begins to flush, especially if it's right around 4 or 5 when I typically began drinking. So interesting to me how a thought and induce a physical reaction like that without even ingesting the stuff.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't really have cravings anymore but when I did my solution was to reach for a sweet treat (reward). I absolutely love Friendly's Chocolate Almond Chip Ice Cream. I kept a container in the freezer in the basement. When I had a bad craving I rewarded myself with some. Sometimes as little as a spoonful worked, sometimes it took the entire 1/2 gallon. But I didn't touch the that particular kind of ice cream any other time other than when I needed to stave off a craving. Sounds kinda dumb as I am typing it now but it worked.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

just keep busy busy busy busy busy busy busy...

After some weeks/months the cravings will become less