Notices

Does anyone have info on Outpatient programs?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone have info on Outpatient programs?

Hi!

So, I've been clean and sober for 1 week today! Yay! And tomorrow I start an Intensive Outpatient Program at my local hospital. Does anyone know what I can expect? I know tomorrow they are doing an assessment of me to see how often I need to go. I wasn't physically addicted to anything. I was just using substances to cope with my issues in 2-3 day binges every few weeks. Any info will help. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can only speak of my experience with an IOP program with Hazelden in Chicago. Mon-Thurs the sessions run from 6-9 pm. The nights vary but basically 1 hour is dedicated to an education type lecture that covers variety of addiction and recovery topics. Former addicts run many if the 1 hr programs as well. The 2nd 2 hours each night are group therapy type discussions. One night of the week is family night that offers family programming. Also - a one-on-one session weekly with a counselor that is in addition to the program outlined above.

One thing that surprised me is that the program was not alcohol specific so all kinds of addictions.

Take advantage if everything they offer, be open to embracing the program. Not sure but I suspect the group component is a large part of the program. Best of luck with recovery.