Notices

Alcoholism is hard work

Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is hard work

The lengths I went to to protect alcohol when it was killing me physically AND most of all mentally, the lies I told to the ones closest to me loosing them time after time, getting them back and then blowing them on yet another bender. the state alcohol left me in before I decided enough was enough was shocking: covered in my own urine lying on my mum and dads bedroom floor begging for help.

I am several months dry now and life is great but still the thought of having a drink in the future seems to be keeping me going more than the thought of sober living and all it's rewards. After all alcohol has done to me (or should I say what I have done to myself) why do I still feel the need to rely on the damn stuff?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It will get easier. Everyone's healing time is different. You are doing really well. Hopefully you will come to the conclusion you don't ever want to go there again. Just take baby steps for now xx
Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat as you sober22 that is why I am just taking it day by day, moment to moment. I haven't ever heard anyone ever say how much they loved being drunk but I have heard plenty of wonderful things about being sober.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found for a few months even tho I was nominally sober, I was still living my old alcoholic life to a large extent - it's only when I started building a new sober life that that began to appeal to me more

what other changes have you made besides just not drinking sober 22?

D
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sober. For me, I kept insisting it could somehow be fun again if I would only be more careful. Over the years I found out it was impossible - but that thought is what kept me trying long after I should've begun building a new sober life. I did horrible things too when drunk - I can't afford to ever touch the stuff again.

We're glad you joined us. I hope talking it over helps.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family.

I'm glad you found us. We're a good group. And we're always open. There is always someone here to talk to.

I hope the support you find here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also ask you what other changes you have made in your life besides stopping drinking. For me, it took a lot of change in a lot of areas of my life.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like there's still an opportunity to replace the drinking with some good feel good methods of coping that you enjoy. Do you like to workout? Meditate? Read? It does get easier over time but it is necessary to develop other means if coping so life is tolerable.