Notices

Think I am finally ready....

Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I am finally ready....

So my first post here on SR, hopefully the first of many!

After a particularly dangerous binge with alcohol this time round and finding out some pretty horrific and embarrassing stories from the last two days, I have now realised that I can not and should not drink. I have tried sobriety once before and lasted 20 days. I convinced myself that I didn't have a problem and that I should maybe just cut back. This went ok for a while but surprise surprise after taking things up a notch I wound up back to my old ways. Currently I am backpacking with a friend around South America and am now in Buenos Aires. It has been a fantastic experience however all the New Years celebrations and being in hostels has not been good for me. 2 nights ago I woke up in hospital with 9 stitches on my forehead from a fall I do not remember. Last night I went into the wrong room and scared senseless 2 poor German girls and went crazy because of there reaction. I then passed out and wet myself. The next morning I got kicked out of the hostel much to my travel partners dismay. I have never been so ashamed and embarrassed in my whole life. I spent most of the day doing a lot of soul searching wonder why and how I got up to this behaviour, As I am very happy go lucky easy going 25yr old. The obvious answer is I never would have done any of this if I wasn't drunk. I realised that sobriety is my only option. It has been tough doing all this in such a strange country and still on the road but I am also relived that I have figured this out. I know it will not be easy as I found out the first time around but as long as I stay sober I will not have any more horror stories like the one I have just told.

Any similar experiences or words of support and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mattya

I have no experience with backpacking or South America but I know you'll find support here 24/7.

You can stop drinking and change your life - it's a big undertaking, but far from impossible - give it all you have
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattya18 View Post
So my first post here on SR, hopefully the first of many!

After a particularly dangerous binge with alcohol this time round and finding out some pretty horrific and embarrassing stories from the last two days, I have now realised that I can not and should not drink. I have tried sobriety once before and lasted 20 days. I convinced myself that I didn't have a problem and that I should maybe just cut back. This went ok for a while but surprise surprise after taking things up a notch I wound up back to my old ways. Currently I am backpacking with a friend around South America and am now in Buenos Aires. It has been a fantastic experience however all the New Years celebrations and being in hostels has not been good for me. 2 nights ago I woke up in hospital with 9 stitches on my forehead from a fall I do not remember. Last night I went into the wrong room and scared senseless 2 poor German girls and went crazy because of there reaction. I then passed out and wet myself. The next morning I got kicked out of the hostel much to my travel partners dismay. I have never been so ashamed and embarrassed in my whole life. I spent most of the day doing a lot of soul searching wonder why and how I got up to this behaviour, As I am very happy go lucky easy going 25yr old. The obvious answer is I never would have done any of this if I wasn't drunk. I realised that sobriety is my only option. It has been tough doing all this in such a strange country and still on the road but I am also relived that I have figured this out. I know it will not be easy as I found out the first time around but as long as I stay sober I will not have any more horror stories like the one I have just told.

Any similar experiences or words of support and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!
I've come to the same realizations in the last couple of days. I was the same way... binge, stop for awhile, get complacent and think I'm doing well and I can control it, so one drink won't hurt... then before I know it I'm back to blackouts. Been doing it that way for years. I've finally realized I'm an all or nothing drinker... I just don't have that switch that trips in my brain telling me it's time to stop... it trips in the opposite direction and screams "drink all the alcohol!!!!".

I'm starting AA next week, I've told myself I can do it on my own too many times before and have decided I'm taking every possible step to ensure I'm done for good this time.

Good luck on staying sober! You can do it.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

http://aario.org/images/buenosaires.pdf
stick around ... dont drink andddd......
GOOD NEWS English speaking AA meetings in YOUR area.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from a fellow Aussie.

There is lots of acceptance and support here. Stick around!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mattya, I've found a wealth of support here and know you will, too. You're definitely not alone. Welcome.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is a very friendly and supportive site. We are here to support and encourage you on your sober journey.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and I hope you find the support you need. On a side note be very careful about buying cheap booze when backpacking, I have heard that it can be dangerous stuff.x
Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what a gift to actually be having this awakening at 25!!

when I was about 25, I managed to keep on rationalizing my heavy drinking a hundred different ways until my late thirties and now, finally at 41 I have surrendered.

You have a beautiful opportunity here to save yourself years or decades of trouble, despair, or worse!!!!

I'm happy for you.

Also; thank you for helping ME stay sober today.

You can do this.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've made a great decision to be Sober!! you'll find plenty of support here!!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr Matt. Not drinking is a great choice. You will enjoy your vacation so much more with a clear head and no more horror stories. Alcohol is not our friend. It makes us act stupid, and brings us down. You are not alone. Here you are among friends who do understand and relate. I wish you well on your sober journey.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck. You'll find tonnes of support here on SR. SIgn in every day and read through the forums - you'll find them very helpful I'm sure! I know I do.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind words and support...was fortunate enough to sleep off most of the hangover last night and am now happily getting through day number two. Have to tackle this beast one day at a time.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mattya18

You are so much smarter than I was at 25!! I would do stupid stuff when drunk, get embarrassed and swear I was going to quit, only to start drinking again the next day. You have made the right choice!!