Notices

Alcohol Rehab

Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Rehab

Hey guys,

I am going to rehab on Sunday for an alcohol addiction. Everything is final set up. Can anyone tell me about what rehab is like? I am going to a nice one but I'm scared to death.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it goes well for you. I didn't go to rehab, but if it could help you, it's a great idea.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I liked rehab. At least once I got through the detox.

You get out of it what you put in. There will be a lot of people there who don't want to be there. Who don't care about sobriety. Who will pick up as soon as they leave.

But there will be others who want this so badly. Who see rehab as the gift that it is. Stick with those people.

Be honest, open-minded, and willing. Take suggestions. Do not fight the process. It may well save your life like it saved mine.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

digdug nailed it. No need to be scared.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm scared because it is some place I've never been. Don't know who my rooommate will be...I have major social anxiety. So many variables that scare me.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm sure it's not scary. Back in the day, I would have given my right arm to go to one, but it was harder then for some strange reason. Best of luck xxxx
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never had to go to one, but if it is the only way to help, go for it. I have found with my panic and anxiety it is best if I face my fears. Good luck, and be well.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't fight, just go along. If you can carry a pillow, you will be grateful. The pillows suck and you can just leave yours there when you go. If you smoke, bring lots. I had three different room mates. Wasn't a problem. Follow the rules. Pay attention to the counselors. Don't bitch. Be the model patient.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been to short term rehab (two weeks) and it was very focused on recovery. There were AA and NA meetings to go to and classes, with homework, to attend.

The food was good.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is in rehab right now. I talked with him last night and he's doing well. He's had his ups and downs, of course, but he says the staff is amazing and he's learning so much about himself and how he fits into the world. He sounds better than he has in MONTHS. I am glad he went and so far he is too.

Of course you're scared. This is a huge leap you're taking. Good luck to you. Wishing you much strength and healing.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The unknown is always scary - but sometimes new experiences are worth the risk.
I think this is one of them.

Best wishes - I hope you'll look back at this as a turning point someonelikeyou0

D
Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I found out that I'll be able to use my cell 3 times a week. So I'll be able to update my progress here.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Consider the fact that you are able to go to rehab a blessing. Many people, for one reason or another never have the chance to go.

My advice is to rest as much as you can during your detox period. You're going to need your energy once you're done! Drink lots of fluids, and eat! We don't realize how much we deprive our body while we're active.

During groups, sit up front and participate. Talk & share how you're feeling. You'll only get out of groups what you put into them. Stick with the winners, the people that seem motivated and grateful to be there. Try to ignore the inevitable whiners and complainers... there are always a couple. Bring a journal for your downtime. Journaling was key to me during rehab. Or maybe some knitting, scrapbooking, another activity that you like?

Try to talk to the tech's as well. They are the people that are with you 24/7. They will know you well, and most of them are in recovery. They can be a wealth of support and knowledge.

Advocate for yourself. If you want to see your therapist for more one on ones, ask. If you feel that you need to be on medication for a co-morbid disorder, ask to see a doctor or psychologist. Nobody can read your mind - you have to speak up.

Make sure the rehab sets you up with a solid aftercare plan, maybe IOP or outpatient, AA meetings in your area, a therapist, etc. When you get home, go to a meeting that night, raise your hand, say you're new, ask for help. You will get an abundance of support. Find a sponsor right away. S/he doesn't have to be your "forever" sponsor... just temporary, to bounce fears, anxieties, etc. off.

That's all I can really recommend. Other than that, best of luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's scary because of the unknown but you'll soon fit right in and be glad you're there. I've seen people walk in the door convinced they weren't an addict and then walk out at the end not only acknowledging that they are an addict but thankful they are. It really is a gift and if you get everything you can out of the experience, you may just think that going to rehab is the best thing that could have happened. I certainly did and learned a whole lot about myself in the process. Also made a great sober support system that I still call on now.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spent 21 days in rehab in nov and was scared at first but i loved it. It was nice to check out of the real world and just focus on myself for that time. No phone internet or tv and it was great.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In my younger years I went to a few rehabs, long and short term.

I definitely did not have the maturity to take full advantage of what was on offer, I still had that invincibility mindset along with mindlessness.

A lot of it washed over me and a lot of it stuck but not so much at the time but it was there to use at a later time....like the saying goes, 'When you are ready to learn your teachers will be revealed.'

I liked rehab, its like an alternative universe...and its about you.