Notices

trust

Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trust

I've realized I have major trust issues. I have been used and lied to alot by my family and some people I have been involved with, but I don't know if I can blame them fully. I think, at least in my adult life, as an addict, I have allowed some of those things to happen because I have been trying to suppress reality with drugs and alcohol. Certainly over the years of drinking and drugging I have been untrustworthy as well.

I dont trust anyone.. Nobody. Especially women.

I have a person from AA reaching out to me. I don't know how to feel about this. He seemingly has my best interest in mind, but so did pretty much everyone I have ever trusted that eventually hurt me.

I'm not ready to let anyone in because I don't believe I can risk getting hurt again. I don't know if I am capable of trusting and or figuring out who truely has my best interests in mind.

Any thoughts?

That aside, I woke up actually looking foreward to my AA meeting, and not dreading the interaction. I feel good today. My body feel better than it has in a long time. I have more energy.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just go with it. Go to the meetings.

There's no need to push into any relationships you're not comfortable with. Just soak up the flavor of the meetings, and do what it takes to keep yourself from drinking.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that opening your heart to other people is very scary, especially when you've been hurt in the past. But, keeping yourself closed off prevents you from experiencing some of the joy of life - connecting with other people. I tried to be cautiously optimistic about opening myself up and it's paid off. My radar, as far as choosing family/friends to trust, is SO much better now. And, on top of that, I no longer expect others to be perfect or to fulfill all my needs. My previous expectations were too high.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had major trust issues too - I was never good at reading people and got used and hurt a lot.

With a little sober time, I worked out who I was, and I got a lot better at reading people - and at having friendly but firm boundaries - just in case.

For now it's ok to reach out for help staying sober I think...noone does this alone.

just keep it businesslike and take it slow if that helps