Notices

Excitment vs Fun Vs Boredom vs Normalcy

Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excitment vs Fun Vs Boredom vs Normalcy

Waxing philosophical a moment...

I was reading a thread a bit further down about what sober people do for fun, and it got me to thinking. I've been in a thinking mood anyway the past few days as I've found myself bored with staying home and being single and dateless.

Anyway..

I think being bored is normal. It's something sober people deal with. As drinkers, we didn't. We didn't like being bored, so, instead of actually doing something about it, or riding through it, we drank.

Or at least I did.

I always thought I got a lot accomplished while drinking. I always thought it was great motivation to get housework or yard work done. Well, kinda. I always STARTED doing the work, never seemed to quite finish it for some reason. Sober, I get it done. Now, it doesn't seem as fun, as exciting, hell, it's even downright boring. But it gets done, and that feels great.

Sober people, I think, realize that life is not always fun, exciting, and stimulating. It's often boring, slow and normal. The longer I'm sober (coming up on 9 mos.) the more comfortable I am with that. Life seems slower, more easy paced, now that I'm not drinking. I remember the hours as they pass. Sure, sometimes it's boring, but I remember them. Something I wasn't always able to do.

Was life more exciting while drinking? In reality, no, it wasn't.

I didn't do too much differently. Other than drive drunk, spend money foolishly, get into romantic/physical situations I wish I hadn't, arguments I could have avoided, and situations I should have seen coming.

Exciting? Sure! Excitement I could have easily done without! Of course there were fun times when I was drunk. But, I'm having fun time now that I'm sober too. Maybe they don't feel as exciting, but I'm betting they are as exciting. I just don't have the buzz of alcohol to change the way I'm actually feeling about them. So what I'm feeling now, is a normal way to feel about fun and excitement, rather than the alcohol fueled way.

Boredom is normal. Boredom happens. I've had to learn how to deal with Boredom, just as much as I've had to learn not to have that first drink.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also if you think about it, you probably cleaned up that yard when sober in half the time it would have taken when you were drunk. Given you more time on your hands afterwards to decide what to do with.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The world is full of distraction and people crave distraction, because sitting in a room having conversation with other people might just be too uncomfortable as people might need to face and figure out who they are!! . . . unfortunately though we turned to alcohol/substances to distract us!!

I agree, take away all the stimulation, TV's, music, and that leaves a heck of a lot of time to fill in life!! . . . the skill of filling that volume of time I think is a lost ability in the modern world, sitting doing nothing and being simply content with being by yourself and being comfortable with yourself is now termed "boredom" . . . but it's a natural part of life, if all the gadgets/stimulations/activities were removed from modern life!!

I do like a good philosophical moment!!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think drunk people are more easily entertained... LOL

I LOVE how long my days feel right now. Life was flying right by before... It scared me. You blink and a year has passed. I'm sure my first year sober won't fly by, and I'm grateful for it- you know?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, boredom is normal and a sight better than despair. My dad always says, "boredom is a luxury, you don't get poor kids in war torn countries, running for their life and saying' 'I'm bored.''
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Yes, boredom is normal and a sight better than despair. My dad always says, "boredom is a luxury, you don't get poor kids in war torn countries, running for their life and saying' 'I'm bored.''
Never looked at it that way, but that phrase right there speaks volumes.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bikeracct, you managed to put on paper what I've been trying to figure out for a long time. Like now, I'm freakin bored! But sober for 22 days.

And the time is definitely no longer in hyper speed mode.
Thanks for your analyses!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your upcoming nine months sober!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love this post! Thank you . . . it truly resonated.