Old 06-15-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK this time I have a plan

in the past I would get a whim and quit, usually using help of some kind,
Nicotine gum
hypnosis
patch
eating sunflower seeds and candy.
but the longest I ever went was 2 weeks, it seems the hardest part for me is lack of concentration and cravings when I quit.

so this time I am getting professinal help, I saw my doctor and he prescribed welbutrin, (I have a history of depression) and nicotine inhalers, I also signed up for a support group, and will go back to nicotine anonymous meetings.
the thing that always gets me is thinking its ok to have a few puffs to clear my head and ease the cravings, and I am back at 2-3 packs a day within days.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can do it jay! woooooohoooooooo!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Awesome JW!
I'm closing in on 60 days and I'm still crazy for a smoke sometimes...
Wanna sponsor me
Old 06-15-2004, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Awesome JW!
I'm closing in on 60 days and I'm still crazy for a smoke sometimes...
Wanna sponsor me
...sometimes...
Old 06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We're cheering you on Jay. I like your plan, and just know that you too will be smelling like a rose!!!

Hugs
Ann
Old 06-16-2004, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Jay, that's great! I too went on Zyban - the same thing as Welbutrin. I used the patch. The longest I have ever gone is 3 1/2 months. Not a bad start. But, I am getting psyched up again to have at it.
When is your quit date?
Wanna be quit buddies? I need someone to be accountable to...
Also, please read the "junkie thinking" thread I posted. I think it helps with those thoughts about having a "few puffs." For us, it is like an alcoholic having just a few drinks....It doesn't work.
See ya around.
Shalom!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Goddess in the making

Good for you Jay! I quit for 8 months using Zyban (Wellbutrin), it worked like a charm. What got me started again was the junkie thinking - exactly the stuff HT posted!

I had a false start June 1st. Got the patch and quit for a grand total of 3.5 days. I want to quit again...but haven't picked another date. Am thinking the 21st.

Can I be quit buddies with you guys too? I've smoked since I was 13 (I'm now 29) and all my friends smoke...I really need the support. Even though I know I can do it, since I've done it before...I'm scared. I live alone, and tend to get weepy when I quit...there's no-one here to sob all over!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by waywardsister
Can I be quit buddies with you guys too?
You're a member of the Unsmokers when you say you are!
Welcome wayward!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Sure wayward...I'd wecome a quit buddy to contact when I'm going CRAZY!!!! I am 48 and have smoked since I was 14 - arghhhhh!!!!! Have quit multiple times, very seriously 3 times. Time to have a go at it again. Gotta make it happen this time. Hopefully, this board and the accountability will keep me on track.
Like Ann, I am not telling people I know. Of course, son will find out soon enough, but, hopefully, I'll have some clean time in before others notice.
I'm thinking Friday evening.
See you around...
Shalom!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd like a quit buddy too, my Doctor suggested 7-1-04, takes a few weeks to get the meds in my system.

anybody want to quit for good on 7-1 ?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

Jay;
Yes, it does take a few weeks. And you may feel a bit spacey and forgettful in the beginning. It wears off.
I'm going to stick to Friday evening. But, we can still be buddies if you want.
Did you read the "junkie thinking" post on this board. I printed it out so I could have access anytime I got that "stinking thinking" again!
Look forward to quitting and working towards freedom from the coffin nails.
Shalom!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi,
I was doing SO well, 4 months smoke free, then BONK! Off the wagon....I just need the mind set, and I will give it another go.

Keep on keeping on everyone......
Jay: Sounds like a good plan!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Goddess in the making

Hey everyone...I quit on Sunday, let's buddy-up! I should print out the junkie thinking stuff too...and post it everywhere.

I'm hermiting myself somewhat for this first week, staying in and away from people who I know will trigger me. I'm like you HT, smoked since I was 13. I'm 29 now, and don't want to hit 30 still smoking. Man, why'd we start so young?

Hey Jay, I've been on the zyban too, so if you need any advice or have questions, ask away. HT was on it too (still this time? I don't remember...the spaciness has started!) And Moose, I went 8 months and fell off the wagon...you're in good company. A couple drags of a friend's cig...then a few smokes at the bar...then BAM, pack a day. Sucks. I would love to be a social smoker, but it's impossible for me. This is why I never got into drugs... knew I'd go waaaay overboard!

I got into bed last night...and my comforter STINKS. Eeeeuuuwwww. Febreeze time!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by waywardsister
I got into bed last night...and my comforter STINKS. Eeeeuuuwwww. Febreeze time!

Congratulations Sister!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Quit Buddy!!

Hey Jay Walker,
Thats a great idea, anybody out there still looking for a quit buddy? :slap:
I need someone to whenever I start thinking about it. Because my hubby is not quitting just yet, maybe someday.

I have been on Zyban since 7/2/04 I know not very long but I have already put the smokes down due to my upcoming surgery. I think this Zyban rocks I don't have the symtoms that I had when I tried this cold turkey OMG that was a huge mistake. The fact is I need help, so I picked Zyban and so far it is doing the job even with hubby (tryinagain) still smoking around me.

Cya all later,
Penelope