Notices

Christmas and its variants

Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas and its variants

It's Christmas morning here in southern Australia, so first up let me say: 'Happy Christmas' to all the SR members in Aus and NZ. We're only a small crew, but indefatigable. Call it stubbornness if you will :-)

And of course, a Happy Christmas from me to all my SR mates and those I don't know, who are at some stage of Christmas Eve.

I can highly recommend a lovely prayer for all, put up by anyistoomuch: it really says it all:

some are celebrating their first sober Christmas season, some their 20th or more, and plenty of others in between those times;

some are not even sure they will be sober even though they want to - as the prayer says;

some are determined to stay sober, in the face of either full on family events or being at home alone;

some are actually drinking - like me, still in a relapse, or, perhaps as others may be, semi-knowing they need to quit, only half knowing they might be alcoholics, etc.

Some are probably / are in a detox or rehab facility or hospital ER as I write.

As a veteran (dammit) of relapses this year, I'm trying to say: the one thing I've learned is to NEVER give up hope. Plus, for me, I HAVE to maintain even tiny thoughts of gratitude - even this last couple of days; Christmas Eve was my birthday, I spent it alone, and today, Christmas Day, I'll be spending alone.

However: I'm safe at home; it's a nice day; I have a few birthday and Christmas cards in the mail from a handful of people, plus phone calls from my sisters and a couple of old friends. And I've called them too. One daughter is completely silent; the other has at least reached out with birthday and Christmas greetings by text.

There are many birds outside singing (a reminder via wpainterw's elegaic post of the other day, with the lines from Tintern Abbey); I can hear a few of the neighbours' kids playing with their Christmas bikes etc. I don't have to hit the roads, near or far away, to face a potentially fraught family Christmas lunch. I might put on some classical music on the radio a bit later, and play a few doggie games with Bess. I CAN do all these things because I'm not homeless, or having to spend Christmas in a psych ward or a detox / ER.

I am glad for these small things, this small portion of peace. I'd planned to be sober and travel to the inner city for an AA Big Christmas Lunch. I can't do that now. But I will NOT give up on quitting again. No matter how many times it takes.

Warm hugs to ALL of you, SR comrades.
xx
Vic
Old 12-24-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's the link to 'For All of Us' by anyistoomuch:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-us-here.html
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Such a great post!! . . . if anyone was lacking hope or inspiration, and still struggling with the later stages of Xmas eve around the world, then this post provides it.

Have a very Merry Christmas Vic!!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And William's post: words failed me on this one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4362745
Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread! It reinforced my resolve for sobriety.
I can't imagine going back to day one. It was just to brutal.

Be well
Old 12-24-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post, I agree and related to what you said. Happy Christmas.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you had a great day Vic

D
Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

This is london calling , london calling …

Thanks for the christmas wishes Vic , hope you and the dog are keeping cool .

It's been windy and rainey here , a tree blew down onto my neighbours shed , and i had to drive to work down a road flooded to about 8 inches of … well never you mind what was in it … just had to keep the bow wave going so i didn't end up with wet feet .
bestwishes to all those down under from up and over , m
Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Vic and all the other Aussies and Kiwis. It's been cool and wet here all day, I think you Melburnians got the heat this year.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Merry Christmas from the USA!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday friend.

You are a wise and kind soul. Please give yourself the gift of sobriety just one more time. Your heart and gentleness pour out from your posts. And to see the silver lining is a blessing.

Be well.