Notices

It's not all doom and gloom

Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's not all doom and gloom

I have been to and fro about starting this thread . I don't want to offend anyone but I also want to give a little bit of hope to early newcomers. I have seen quite a lot here recently about how hard sobriety is, how even after 6 months 12 months life is still hellish, how much the buzz of alcohol is missed,and how many seem to relapse. If I was on day one here I would think why bother!

I am on day 102 and although there are many here with more sobriety than me ,I think I can speak with some knowledge. There are certainly days and events that seem to trigger my cravings. But these are few and far between,especially the last month or so. My outlook is so much more positive now. Nothing is a problem that I cannot solve. My health and fitness has also gone up another level. To wake up every morning without a hangover is complete bliss.

I still have all my own drinking buddies and still go out to bars ,restaurants ,social gatherings etc. in fact I do everything as before just minus the alcohol. It takes a little focus at times but it is realistic. In fact I feel pretty cool to be the non drinker.

Life is so so so much better without alcohol. I acknowledge totally that I may have had an easy ride here and in no way decry some of the battles some people have to fight. I just wanted to add a little balance to the argument. I wish everyone well and here is to a sober and healthy 2014.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

102 Days is fantastic!

Your right, though I think because this is a newcomer section, the majority of people are posting off the back of either reaching rock bottom, experiencing some heavy withdrawal symptoms, or are just crying out for help, this then is the inevitable nature of a lot of threads.

But by pushing through, the positive benefits of being sober will be felt!!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The greatest difference between now and then is my awareness. I actually feel like I am an active participant in my life.

Congrats on the 102 days.

I however, am a alcoholic and an addict and realizing this I only do a fraction of what I used to do while activated. I don't go to bars unless I have to for work purposes (rarely), I don't attend the same social gatherings. I don't have the same drinking buddies - I have had to adjust my life bc the old things I don't find fun sober.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you shared, Toffee. I'm at a bit over 5 months, and my experience has been similar to yours. I think it's important for people to realize that there is no "normal" trajectory for a sober life--it's nice to have a variety of posts/stories to relate to. Thank you.

Congratulations on 102 days!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really like your thread Tofee1. purpleknight also has a good point, this is the Newcomer forum after all. It's only normal that posts are more dramatic, we have some people here that are facing the lost of everything in their lives, facing total dispear.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Intesting, Toffee1, I think I have had similar thoughts lately, but as I am so new (5 weeks on x-mas day!) I have not really been able to articulate and have been far from comfortable attempting a post. I get a lot of strenght from posting successes, and I find I want to post positive aspects to my journey into sobriety, but I read the hardships of others, and while I relate without a doubt, I feel kind of guilty about posting good stuff. So often I don't. Oh no, I'm not mr. All's Beautiful the time, but I'm really working on focusing on the postive. I've been in such a negative space for SO many years, dark, hateful, angry. Now I want to move into the light, so to speak. I like sharing positive things, it helps me. I just don't know if it's appropriate sometimes.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Malcolmsloan, both positive and negative threads are welcomed. Hope you post your positive one! Can't wait to read it!

I tend to post my positive Threads in the Alcoholism forum, The newcomer Forum appears to be the entry point for all, then they get into the Specific forum for the issue they want to work on.

5 Weeks on Christmas day sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate!