Notices

Trying to come to terms

Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to come to terms

I realize my social drinking habit has become a problem. I need partners in reducing this and encouraging me. I feel alone and now drink secretively. Perhaps some kindred spirits here who have been through it all can help me turn thinks around.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Admitting you have a problem is a big first step, many people aren't even getting that far. Good work.

There are lots of stories on this forum that will sound very familiar to you. Welcome aboard! I think you'll see, you're not alone in this at all, part of a very large fraternity, actually..
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is frightening to believe that something has slipped up on me like this. It is not difficult to avoid drinking during the week when I am working. I appreciate your understanding and support. I am not going to pretend that I can get through this quickly. It will probably always be a struggle. I think more objective voices than my family, especially from people who have walked a mile in my shoes, will help me get my arms around this.

Thank you for your encouragement.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Vet69, SR is a great place for support. It's helped a lot with my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support. One of the reasons I turned to alcohol for more than social reasons was a misguided effort to cope with a condition I have developed called Tinnitus. For me it is a persistent and 24-7 ringing in my ears, particularly the right ear. It makes sleep difficult, which in itself causes anxiety that can lead to drug dependence. I have prescription drugs to help me sleep, which is not good if mixed with alcohol. I try to keep a good distance between them. The doctor says that Tinnitus will never go away, I just have to live with it. It is like a life sentence. Alcohol helps temporarily, but then it returns even worse than before.

Thank you for writing to me.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Vet69)))))

WELCOME to Sober Recovery. You have found a place where folks are more than will to share their Experience, Strength and Hope (ESH) with others.

You will as you peruse this site that you very definitely are NOT alone. Many of us have been where you are now, and yes, it has been a struggle for many of us to find a cleaner, different, sober way to live and enjoy life!

I too was once where you are now, but stayed in denial of what was happening, and ended up taking my addiction to alcohol to the MAX. I won't go into it here but you are welcome to read it, if you so choose:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

I can tell you that I do not wish or want to see 'My MAX' on anyone else.

You have taken the first step, you have admitted you have a problem. Now you have the chance by reading around on this site, to use one of several different 'programs' that have helped many, programs like SMART, AA, RR (Rational Recovery).

Just know that there are many success stories on here, we even have a whole topic of them:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

So read at your leisure, feel free to ASK QUESTIONS as we all had/have them and know that you now have thousands walking with you in spirit.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you found us! For me it was a sneaky progression, by the time I realized and was honest with myself I was in over my head.

13 days in and happy like never. Don't get me wrong, everything in my life is not fixed yet. But by not drinking I am not adding more on top of the pile.
People here have and are still helping me daily with their stories so similar than mine. I hope you find the warmth of people here comforting.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Vet69 xx
Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Welcome- you will find many similar stories here and inspiration and support!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Trying To Come to Terms

Thank you for your encouragement
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlmA

Hi Vet,

You took a huge step confronting the problem.

Sorry about your illness, maybe you should search for healthy ways to cope with it...
Have you tried meditation? you to learn to disconnect of your thoughts/noise,
as they are a clouds that is pass by... is there but separate it. Try it!

You have lots of advice here that will help you.

Best wishes in your recovery...
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!! I didn't drink everyday either, but I thought about it all the time. It's a progressive disease that sneaks up on you. You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read Laurie's post...wow. If that isn't an inspirational story I don't know what is. Thanks. I'm only on day 26 Vet69, but please stick with it. I feel so much better. The first week was hell, I won't lie. But after the withdrawals ceased, everyday gets better. Physically I have not felt this good in years. Waking up without a hangover, etc. I'm still a little tired here and there, but this is going to take some time. I take it one day at a time and read this website daily. Stay strong, you can do this.....
Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vet
welcome to SR

I have tinnitus too - had it all my life...I hope eventually you'll get used to it

In my long progression to all day everyday drinking I was once a 'weekend warrior' type drinker too - I tried cutting back but it seems I only have one speed - full on.

wishing you the best tho

D
Old 12-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Vet69 View Post
Thank you for your support. One of the reasons I turned to alcohol for more than social reasons was a misguided effort to cope with a condition I have developed called Tinnitus. For me it is a persistent and 24-7 ringing in my ears, particularly the right ear. It makes sleep difficult, which in itself causes anxiety that can lead to drug dependence. I have prescription drugs to help me sleep, which is not good if mixed with alcohol. I try to keep a good distance between them. The doctor says that Tinnitus will never go away, I just have to live with it. It is like a life sentence. Alcohol helps temporarily, but then it returns even worse than before.

Thank you for writing to me.
Have you tried leaving the radio on quite low at night? I do that sometimes and it kind of dilutes the tinnitus and music is much nicer
Old 12-21-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on recognising and acting on the danger signs. Secret drinking is something we have all had in common at one time or another (I'm guessing) and it's time to get help.

Welcome.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am still struggling with it on days off. During the work week I have no problem usually. I appreciate your message.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Vet69! Tinnitus isn't curable but there are ways to deal with and mitigate it. Masking, where you use white noise to cover it up, can be helpful. And there's tinnitus retraining where you basically train your ear/brain combo to filter the sound out. There are courses on CD that you can get. Tinnitus affects lots of people and can range from intermittent and mildly annoying to very very bad.

As the other folks have pointed out, using booze to medicate often results in a worse problem than the one you were trying to fix. My drinking started out as just weekends and at parties but over the years it grew steadily until I was drinking every single day. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't quite it only would have been a matter of a few more years before it have killed me or caused me irreparable harm. You are smart to be thinking of it now!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Vet69,

Weekend binge drinker here too who had no trouble during the work week (unless I could find a way to plan a reason to drink). Also suffer from tinnitus. This is why I turn the tv on when I go to bed. At least hearing something kind of makes it more unnoticeable. It's annoying!

I'm glad that you came here, read, read, read and post, post post. There's a lot of support on this board coming from like minded people who you'll be able to identify with.