Notices

New here

Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi. I'm new here. I drink too much, and I'm sick of it. I'm so upset with myself - what am I thinking? I don't want to drink anymore, yet if we don't have alcohol in the house my dumb brain convinces me to go get some. I hate it. Even this morning when I have finally signed up here to get some help (because I was up at 4:00 Googling "I don't want to drink anymore") I still think, well we have a cider, I could probably just drink one. No I can't! Why does my mind work like this? I'm so upset. My family deserves a sober mom/wife and I deserve to be healthy too. I want out of this dumb relationship with wine and beer.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I usually don't feel so upset but I am really struggling this morning and I need to tell someone to make this change real, if that makes sense.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hellome View Post
I usually don't feel so upset but I am really struggling this morning and I need to tell someone to make this change real, if that makes sense.
I understand completely. We make a big leap when we go from thinking about our drinking to doing something about it. It's upsetting when we realize we can't control our drinking and can't seem to hang on to "not drinking."

You are in a great place for support and advice.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Hellome, SR is a wonderful place for support. It's helped a lot with my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the nature of the disease and it's often relentless.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! You are going to be glad you joined this community!

Originally Posted by Hellome View Post
I still think, well we have a cider, I could probably just drink one. No I can't! Why does my mind work like this?
My mind works like that, too. In my case it's because I have an addict living in my head who is willing to risk anything (and everything) to get a buzz on. It took me far too long to figure out that he lies to me 100% of the time. My life got a lot better when I quit taking his recommendations.

You can do this!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling upset about it in this case is very useful. It drives you to want to change. I've only been here a few days and it's been a huge support already.

Many have been where you are and succeeded overcoming this problem.

Welcome!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum, I have slipped in the past back to drinking due to exactly the same, if there is no alcohol in the house, I'd go and get some, there always had to be something at all times, I also have a pub within 5mins walking distance of where I live.

You'll probably read a lot of posts about coming up with a plan, but that's what is needed, "when x happens or when I do x, what do I do differently", it's not an easy thing completely changing habits built up over years.

You've made a great first step in wanting to change!!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Read and post, you can do this.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I plan on sticking around for a while. I stopped drinking for seven or eight days a few months ago and it felt weird to go to Target and not grab a bottle of wine. I hate that alcohol has that grip on me. I cannot and will not continue down this path. It's gotten so much worse, and I hate myself for it.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Don't hate yourself. None of us asked to be this way. You have come to the right place. I have watched several people stop drinking here just this week. It's great
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hellome

There's tons of support here
Check out our Class of December thread - it's for everyone quitting this month:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-3.html

and we have a moms thread too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-12.html

D
Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome-
Your luck has changed- you found this group. The people on this site are fantastic! No judgement, just support. Keep reading, keep coming back.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. Tons of support here.

Try to just take things one day at a time and you'll be ok. It can be challenging at times, but it's worth it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to meet you hellome!

It's wonderful that you recognize the problem and are seeking help. It took me a very long time to get to that point. I kept trying to use willpower to just have 'one or two'. There was no such thing for me. You can do this - we'll help.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Lots of support here for those wanting to quit drinking.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hellome - Welcome to SR. New to this myself but I KNOW you've made the right decision. Don't hate yourself, and something everyone here has told me and I'm working very hard to accept it as a primary driver ... don't look back at what you've done...look forward to today and tomorrow. I've had some pretty severe anxiety and I do the google thing too my too. I recommend hanging out here, post here...read... there are many GREAT people, and you will soon, if not already, know your not alone and many have walked the path you are on. Congrats on your decision to stop and welcome to a great forum.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome.

You are not alone.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!! This forum is an invaluable form of support to me. I am also new to recovery. I log on everyday and read and sometimes post. Stick around and best of luck to you!!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel/ You've come to the right place. Just keep trying.
This is one of the best support systems to me.Keep coming here and reading..You will learn a lot and won't feel alone in your addiction.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello... I am also new and newly dedicated to sobriety... stay strong and we will get through this day by day. The support I've read here is amazing!