Notices

unable

Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

unable

I have been reading lots on here especially about people who got sober this time last year. Why does it not click with me? I am unhappy. I don't like me. Likmany others here am depressed and on tabs. Duloxotine which have very bad side effects when u try to get off them.

How do I stop.......please
Old 12-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1 Day, 1 Hour, 1 Minute, 1 Second . . . at a time!! . . . to be honest I don't like me either, but I'm working on it, it's gonna take time to "click"!

BTW . . . I only come from 70 miles away from you Snaggle . . . Omagh Town!! . . . we can do this together!!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you coming off meds with your Dr's help Snaggle?

D
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It really will click one time if you really want it to.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Every day of my life seems to be day 1 Day 2 and 3 don't exist
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Give it time, you'll get there
Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

CarolD used to say that when you want to stay sober more than you want to drink, you'll be able to stay sober. Never give up.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really do.want it to click.but it hasn't yet. Want to come off meds but doctor said side effects doing so can be quite bad. I agree. Husband home. Have to feign sleep]
Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, does your dr recommend that you stop taking the medication? If so, maybe he can offer a tapering plan for you.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, you made the first step, the biggest I think.

Now you need a strategy that cover all angles, your doctor is key like ofhers mentioned. Nothing to be ashamed about btw, I'm sure you are not the first he helps!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning and thanks for all your help. The meds are horrible but its the alcohell that I want to get off more than anything - the meds can be sorted out later. I just want to stop but I am no longer in control of it. I am so tired all the time and although I never miss work, I only function at 50%. I do want to be sober more than I want to drink but I feel powerless under its control.

I will keep trying and will never give up. When I imagine a drink free life, I feel relief and feel that I would be happy. But I just can't seem to get there and I don't know why....
Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Purple - Omagh town - not so far away! I'm just outside Belfast in Newtownabbey x
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

sometimes it doesn't click for awhile, but we can choose to still stay sober, even when it feels funny, because if we do, it WILL click and make sense. It's so darn awkward in the beginning...feel like "this can't be right"

I thought I must have been doing sobriety wrong for a long time, because it didn't feel like I expected it to. But truly it gets better.

You'll get it, but to do so ,you have to hang onto it, have a sense of humor and it helps to hang around here and ride the hope provided by the many others who have done this sobriety thing and thrived.

I had to borrow a lot of hope and humor at first, till my own got flowing, like priming a pump I guess.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Snaggle, I was very similar to you as I always wanted to give up, like everyone here at one time or another.

I knew it was in control more than I was but still could do nothing and if I made a day 2 it was, in all honesty, because I was recovering more than the usual fog.

It was a sharp shock what altered things for me when my husband had finally enough. That woke me from my fog of boozy, hazy days. We reconciled and it's not easy, but it never was when I was drinking.
At least now I am honest, no lies, no hiding booze. I have a lot of mending to do, I may be too late, I was consumed with my drinking for that long, I selfishly didn't think how it affected my husband.
The great thing is, I feel more in control of my life than ever before, even though I haven't booze to hide behind.
I couldn't think of the future without alcohol now I can't think of it with it.

The great thing is for me, I go to work early in a morning and I know, even in this festive period, if I get randomly stopped by police, I'm stone cold sober. I always thought I was in the mornings but it's nice to actually know, it sets me free.

All the best with day 1+ x
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking can take its hold on us and our intentions to stop are never met. We want it. Then we don't. Then we do. It was not all that bad after a few days reprieve. Stopping before something detrimental happens is always preferred. This was not the case for me, and I am still recovering from the consequences 9 months later. You can do this. We are all here to support you. Its one day at a time.