Notices

Day 4 and my mom tells me this...

Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Day 4 and my mom tells me this...

I was talking to my mom this morning on the phone. Part way through the conversation I tell her about my intentions of no longer drinking. I downplay it. I tell her that 'I don't like it', 'none of my friends drink', etc.

She calls me out. Tells me 'you're an alcoholic'. She points out that nearly every facebook pic I have is of me I look wasted and have a beer in my hand. Later I went to my facebook page and looked through my pictures. She's right. In damn near every picture I'm partying with friends and I'm trashed.

I feel really embarrassed right now. I lied to my mother, but she knew. It's hitting me now that despite all my attempts to hide my problem, everyone knows.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

It's difficult sometimes for us to see how we are on the outside, the way others see us. I didn't know how far gone I was in my addiction, really, until certain things were pointed out to me.

It's embarrassing, yes, but it does go away. Especially when you begin changing from the inside out.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From experience, I'd say your mom is actually very pleased, when my mom noticed that I had become sober, she told me she was really proud of me, believe me your mom is more bothered about not having to worry about you or see you hurting yourself than how you chose to tell her, the health and lifestyle of her child is more important than a tiny white lie.

The initial anger/frustration she is expressing is temporary, she may feel it's her fault, she may hate alcohol itself, but in time she will be happy for you!

Great job on 4 Days, you've made a great decision!!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post
It's hitting me now that despite all my attempts to hide my problem, everyone knows.
All the more reason to quit. And when that little voice in your head starts telling you that you are exaggerating the extent of your drinking, imagine what the people who know of your problem would say...
Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Moms are so smart......that's why they are moms.......
Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was talking to my mom this morning on the phone. Part way through the conversation I tell her about my intentions of no longer drinking. I downplay it. I tell her that 'I don't like it', 'none of my friends drink', etc.

She calls me out. Tells me 'you're an alcoholic'. She points out that nearly every facebook pic I have is of me I look wasted and have a beer in my hand. Later I went to my facebook page and looked through my pictures. She's right. In damn near every picture I'm partying with friends and I'm trashed.

I feel really embarrassed right now. I lied to my mother, but she knew. It's hitting me now that despite all my attempts to hide my problem, everyone knows.
I'd say she accomplished exactly what she intended, to make you stop minimizing the issue. Good job to your Mom, and good job to you for examining what she said instead of just being defensive. Getting honest with yourself is a huge step
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think that's one of the most common misconceptions you see from alcoholics, i know I fell victim to it as well. We think we are "functioning alcoholics" or that we are somehow hiding the fact that we drink from others. We are afraid to go to an AA meeting or talk about our drinking because we think "someone might find out". The truth is that most people know, and they have known for a long time in many cases. Most just don't say anything to be polite, or they frankly don't care ( which they shouldn't ).

Kudos for recognizing it for what it is...use it as motivation to be more honest with yourself and others around you about what drinking really means in your life.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it's amazing what we think we had gotten away with (nobody noticing) I can't help thinking her reaction was rather strange though. Why didn't she mention it before then? If my daughter had told me that, I would have been over the moon and gone along with her playing it down. Don't feel bad about her reaction. It's a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. You have done nothing wrong and should be pleased with yourself. Don't let what she said be detrimental to you. please xxxx
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can fool yourself and you can fool your friends but you can't fool mom...lol
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Don't be embarrassed, Ncognito. You now have a very important ally in your corner
Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

However embarrassing that was, it would be more embarrassing not to do anything about it...

you're doing something - that's something to be proud of, in my book .

D
Old 12-18-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
From experience, I'd say your mom is actually very pleased, when my mom noticed that I had become sober, she told me she was really proud of me, believe me your mom is more bothered about not having to worry about you or see you hurting yourself than how you chose to tell her, the health and lifestyle of her child is more important than a tiny white lie.

The initial anger/frustration she is expressing is temporary, she may feel it's her fault, she may hate alcohol itself, but in time she will be happy for you!

Great job on 4 Days, you've made a great decision!!
Made my day. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're very welcome!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My mom sorta did the same thing, but I didn't mention I had quit drinking. As far as I was concerned she didn't know... moms know, that's their job.

We went to dinner the other night, and I was all energetic and talking about things I have been doing, things I want to be doing etc.

We talk about things and then out of nowhere, she smiles and says, "Well that's good. Your dad had a lot more energy and was more into doing things when he quit drinking too, at about the same age"

I didn't know what to say, so all I could say was "yeah, that wasn't working out for me either"

We can lie to coworkers. We can lie to most friends. But we are never going to be able to lie to mom.... She knows us from the moment we were born, inside and out.

I am very sure she is proud of you for making this change. Heck, I don;t even now you and I am proud of you
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, that is rough.

I can't help but think the same thing as Kate. It would have been nice if your mom went along with your excuse, and found other ways to support you during all of this. Just remember that you are in the early phase of sobriety and all of the embarrassment will subside. I should know...

Hang in there and allow yourself to maintain enough self-pride and dignity. It is not the end of the world that your mom said that to you - now is the time to start building up your self-worth.