Notices

First xmas sober and scared!

Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry First xmas sober and scared!

Hi guys been sober since July and back in AA. Blood readings are back to normal and been back at work since September. Already been to a family xmas meal on Monday and stayed on the lemonade. At the end of the meal the waiter said drinks were on the house, everyone ordered another tipple but i had a coffee.
Parents know i am sober so no pressure to drink from them but my gran was rather surprised.
I have stepped up my meetings more in AA this week but still getting stressed. Not that I am tempted to drink just stressed at the amount of drunk people at xmas. I went to a take away last night to get a pizza and there were people outside who could hardly stand they were that drunk and mouthing off.
People also seem to do pranks this time of year and woke up this morning to find my car had been pelted with eggs and a can of chopped tomatoes across the driveway.
Bombarded with alcohol adverts and being asked to staff xmas nights out is not helping. I said to work I will go for the meal but I am not saying out late.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I like to stay home and eat lots of yummy food and watch telly. There are always good Christmassy films on and stuff. Warmer inside anyway
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BigBobby, I totally understand! I have been thinking about this as well, i'm not scared that I will drink, just the constant alcohol in your face is confronting.
Stay strong and know that there are so many other people with you in this.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, I live across road from a pub, which used to bother me, but I don't see it's there anymore as a pub, just a building.

Being sober people drunk just don't do it for me, I feel like I want to preach, but keep quiet. There for the grace of God go I.

That sounds selfish but I need to get myself confident in my sobriety, first. Sorry if I'm rambling.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Ange4. I think i am just rather tired as well. Luckily i have got a week off work now to recharge my batteries and get lots of sleep. I think when you get sober you take a lot of information in compared to just being sedated.
My smoking has also increased but the approach I am taking is focus on the drink for now. If i put all my eggs in one basket it will be not good for me in the long term.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bobby. I remember being very resentful my first sober holiday season. I had to work hard to find some Christmas spirit, but I ended up being very pleased with myself for getting through it sober.

Please know that it won't feel this way but once - next time will be much easier. I can't believe it, but I barely think of drinking now. The thing I once lived for! Glad you posted about how you're feeling.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi, I live across road from a pub, which used to bother me, but I don't see it's there anymore as a pub, just a building.

Being sober people drunk just don't do it for me, I feel like I want to preach, but keep quiet. There for the grace of God go I.

That sounds selfish but I need to get myself confident in my sobriety, first. Sorry if I'm rambling.
No, you are making perfect sense x
Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There is a TV program on at the moment and they're all getting drunk and one of them said, 'things are so better when you are drunk'. I shouted at the telly, 'no they're not.' and my son thought I had gone mental. lol.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Definitely a good idea to focus on one vice at a time, quitting smoking will come when it is the right time for you.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Timelord

I think of last Christmas Day where I was drunk by 11am and spoiled the day for my fiancee. In bed most of the afternoon and I couldn't eat my Christmas dinner. I was sick all of Boxing Day and used whisky as an excuse to get me feeling well enough to travel the 40 miles to see my Mum and Dad.

This year I'm looking forward to a Happy Christmas and not a Merry Christmas if you know what I mean.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigBobby View Post
Hi guys been sober since July and back in AA. Blood readings are back to normal and been back at work since September. Already been to a family xmas meal on Monday and stayed on the lemonade. At the end of the meal the waiter said drinks were on the house, everyone ordered another tipple but i had a coffee.
Parents know i am sober so no pressure to drink from them but my gran was rather surprised.
I have stepped up my meetings more in AA this week but still getting stressed. Not that I am tempted to drink just stressed at the amount of drunk people at xmas. I went to a take away last night to get a pizza and there were people outside who could hardly stand they were that drunk and mouthing off.
People also seem to do pranks this time of year and woke up this morning to find my car had been pelted with eggs and a can of chopped tomatoes across the driveway.
Bombarded with alcohol adverts and being asked to staff xmas nights out is not helping. I said to work I will go for the meal but I am not saying out late.
7 DAYS This weekend was my first weekend sober but it was not as difficult as i thought it would be, i had a lot of things to do and i surrounded myself with supportive people. family is very important in your journey, we all have family (e.g. my best friend is also my family), the festive season will not be any different just maintain sobriety and you will not feel like drinking, instead of a Bottle of booze buy yourself a Christmas present.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm also facing my first sober xmas.
It's going to be tough cus I will be at my mums and won't have a chance to leave if I want to but it's either that or xmas alone which i've tried before and is really tough!!

I'm avoiding tv, there are too many drink adverts...I keep focusing on how great it's going to feel remembering everything, not feeling sick, really enjoying the food! That's something i've never done!

You can do this and think how great it will feel! You can start the new year feeling awesome!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First off CONGRATS! You're already doing well, keep it up.

At first every time someone offers you a drink you get the feeling like you're at the last stop for water right before you head into the desert! That chance at a drink feels like some precious gift that you'll never see again if you don't grab it now. That feeling of missing out, of being deprived somehow, that will pass before you know it.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Xmas will be fine Bobby! You'll get through it.

Just don't let your guard down in early January! That's when I've been bitten on the bum in the past when I thought I was "safe".

Just keep doing what you're doing pal!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

My first sober Christmas too, I'm just focussing on being 'here' and cooking my first sober Christmas dinner! ( interested to see if it is better or worse!! Lol)
Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes toots i can relate! Cooked my first thanksgiving dinner without drinking wine and it WAS better this year . . .lol!! Doing the same for Christmas!!