Went to the Doctor... You Should Too!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to the Doctor... You Should Too!!!

I have been having major heart burn since July. Yeah, life is crazy living with an alcoholic. At times, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. That's when I really put detachment into play and it seemed to get me through my days when they were bad. Needless to say, my alchie was keeping me so busy with his medical needs, I left myself go. Big mistake on my part! The heart burn never went away. Hard to swallow at times when I was eating. Acid reflux when I'd lay down. Upset stomach... just blah.

Today, I found out I have 3 stomach ulcers. The Dr was shocked because I'm still relatively young, almost 36 here on the 30th. He asked me if ive been stressed? I said hubby was in a horrible motorcycle accident in July n symptoms started soon after. He shook his head yes... then once they were confirmed, Jimmy asked him if it could be because of stress and he said, absolutely.

I'm on meds now. I had my esophagus stretched because the acid had it constricted, making swallowing difficult. Stomach is in an uproar and has been but I want you all to know that you should take care of yourselves. I'm eating my words. If you haven't been to the Dr and are feeling run down and just not feeling well, please go and take care of yourselves!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, that sucks. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for going to the doctor.
And thank you for the reminder.
We're awfully good at putting ourselves last, aren't we?

I hope the meds work quickly and get you pain free and functioning.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent reminder. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to say, he was certainly first during that time frame. I remember waking up to take him for brain surgery and feeling like my heart would explode and saying to myself... if anything happened, I'd be at the trauma center. So not good.

I'm going to take better care of myself. I'm too young to be getting sick like this!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I'm going to take better care of myself. I'm too young to be getting sick like this!
ME TOO. I'm tired and stressed all the frickin time, I've been eating like cr*p for lord knows how long, and been drinking coffee like it's going out of style just to get through my days. On the upside (for me at least), I just signed a lease for my own place starting Jan. 1! The final countdown to getting out for good has begun! (I know that song is stuck in some of your heads now )
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
ME TOO. I'm tired and stressed all the frickin time, I've been eating like cr*p for lord knows how long, and been drinking coffee like it's going out of style just to get through my days. On the upside (for me at least), I just signed a lease for my own place starting Jan. 1! The final countdown to getting out for good has begun! (I know that song is stuck in some of your heads now )
I know I drank coffee and smoked too many smokes, worked full time AND dealt with him and his injuries and alcoholism. What a friggen nightmare and my body paid for it.

Enjoy your apartment! How very exciting! You will love it!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I have been having major heart burn since July. Yeah, life is crazy living with an alcoholic. At times, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. That's when I really put detachment into play and it seemed to get me through my days when they were bad. Needless to say, my alchie was keeping me so busy with his medical needs, I left myself go. Big mistake on my part! The heart burn never went away. Hard to swallow at times when I was eating. Acid reflux when I'd lay down. Upset stomach... just blah.

Today, I found out I have 3 stomach ulcers. The Dr was shocked because I'm still relatively young, almost 36 here on the 30th. He asked me if ive been stressed? I said hubby was in a horrible motorcycle accident in July n symptoms started soon after. He shook his head yes... then once they were confirmed, Jimmy asked him if it could be because of stress and he said, absolutely.

I'm on meds now. I had my esophagus stretched because the acid had it constricted, making swallowing difficult. Stomach is in an uproar and has been but I want you all to know that you should take care of yourselves. I'm eating my words. If you haven't been to the Dr and are feeling run down and just not feeling well, please go and take care of yourselves!
Im in nursing school and guess what im learin? All about Gastric disorders! Pepic ulcers are horrible and if not taken care of can cause major problems. While it is thought that ulcers are caused by stress, they are really caused by a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. Its very common in guess who.....alkies. (How Ironic) The meds you are are probably on are a combo of antibiotics and antacids. Try to change your diet and not smoke (if you do)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit smoking on Nov. 18. Diet has changed too. He gave me prantoprazole. I don't know if it's antibiotic or not but I'm taking it. I know stress contributed. The Dr said he took biopsies and is checking for the bacteria. Said he'd call as soon as he knows.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The final countdown to getting out for good has begun! (I know that song is stuck in some of your heads now )

LOL Wysiwig. Just had an Arrested Development flashback.

Boxin, take care. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
LOL Wysiwig. Just had an Arrested Development flashback.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon, stress has many effects on the body.
Hugs.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jacrazz View Post
Im in nursing school and guess what im learin? All about Gastric disorders! Pepic ulcers are horrible and if not taken care of can cause major problems. While it is thought that ulcers are caused by stress, they are really caused by a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. Its very common in guess who.....alkies. (How Ironic) The meds you are are probably on are a combo of antibiotics and antacids. Try to change your diet and not smoke (if you do)
Was just going to post something similar, and state that this is why it's important to take the things doctors tell us, and then do our own research. While they might be accurate in their diagnosis, they're often way off in how they think people arrived in the condition they did, and what to do to actually heal it. They're trained to treat it, and few doctors (in the US) teach people what to do to become healthy again. They often in fact keep them sick.

Ulcers Facts: Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors

I teach health in an afterschool program, and as I'm typing this we're watching a movie Forks Over Knives. It's on netflix and I highly recommend it. Food Matters is another good one. I'm becoming quite passionate about this stuff for a variety of reasons I can't get into right now cuz, well... I'm in a classroom and shouldn't be on my ipad.

Hope you feel better soon and get well.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Was just going to post something similar, and state that this is why it's important to take the things doctors tell us, and then do our own research. While they might be accurate in their diagnosis, they're often way off in how they think people arrived in the condition they did, and what to do to actually heal it. They're trained to treat it, and few doctors (in the US) teach people what to do to become healthy again. They often in fact keep them sick.

Ulcers Facts: Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors

I teach health in an afterschool program, and as I'm typing this we're watching a movie Forks Over Knives. It's on netflix and I highly recommend it. Food Matters is another good one. I'm becoming quite passionate about this stuff for a variety of reasons I can't get into right now cuz, well... I'm in a classroom and shouldn't be on my ipad.

Hope you feel better soon and get well.
I saw that documentary....I highly recommend it. My nursing professor said changing our diet is as difficult if not more than quitting cigs. Btw, that link explained it to a tee!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Take care BotzinRotz - you have been through so much yet always come over as positive feisty and happy. I am sorry to hear about your health problems but not surprised. I am forcing myself to eat healthily, take my vitamins, and exercise 30 mins a day because if I am ill, who will take care of my beloved cats and AH? I had an upset tummy yesterday - yes, probably stress related and couldn't move from sofa most of day but AH didn't eat anything and forgot to take his pills!
We do need to put our own health first.
Wishing you all the very best.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, just to let you know pantoprazole is just to protect your stomach. I have been given it so that I can take naproxen as a pain killer as apparently naproxen causes upset stomachs. Not a medical opinion, just sharing why I was given it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Pantoprazole is a medicine that turns off some of but not all of the little pumps that excrete stomach acid. So, there's less stomach acid. Excess acid can damage the esophagus as you found out. Overtime, this can become esophageal cancer. You must take care of yourself. Don't eat at least 3 hours before going to bed. Watch the coffee, alcohol, chocolate and cigarettes, stay away from naproxen and Advil. If
you are overweight, lose weight.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not over weight. Quit smoking on November 18th. Going for a follow up in a couple weeks to my PCP and I don't drink. Thanks WeTheLiving. Hope to get back to being myself soon. Still have issues when laying down even if I don't eat before bed. We do have an adjustable bed I've been getting my money's worth out of though. It's even got a vibrator built into it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. It sounds ridiculous, but elevating the head of your bed 6 inches by placing it on blocks, is supposed to be very effective. I haven't tried that. I'd like to get an adjustable bed, they're so pricey.
Love your tree!
Read all of your posts about your hubby, breaks my heart all you've been through. I spent 5 yrs with mine, 5 very unhappy years.
Take Care Box!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh damn you said you have an adjustable bed, so forget the blocks idea!