Notices

I'm An Alcoholic

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think it's important for me to admit this to myself and to you (and to others in my life maybe, but not yet). I'm an alcoholic. Despite the fact I usually argue it's about semantics and people generally don't need labels etc. I think this is right. In the long run I think this is something I need to say. After a bit of reading it seems like the right step in controlling my addictive voice, to stop it lurking in the shadows and sucker punching me when I'm down. I think admitting this sheds some light into the dark corners where it hides. It prays on my denial and weakness, my constant failings at moderation. I am an alcoholic, there is no moderation. You need to know your enemy.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's good to say to yourself at least, as then you know that nothing will change unless you work for it. So at least you can feel the worth of your efforts .
Good luck John.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

For myself, I prefer "alcohol addict". Now that I have a better understanding of what that means, it feels more descriptive.

You seem like you are primarily looking for self-help solutions. If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at the secular connections forum. I have found some useful tools in there.
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Keep the press on!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi nonsensical, for now I'm looking for self help solutions, I'm giving it one last go at doing this myself.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it was important to acknowledge I was an alcoholic - but I admitted it for years without too much changing.....

Make sure you follow through James - begin on the task of really accepting it, and really doing something about your problem

D
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was a hard label for me to put on - due to social stigma. But the more I attend meetings and read/research - my alcoholism is an emotional, physical, and mental problem for which abuse and use of alcohol is a symptom. It's not a weak or poor character (I'm actually a nice, intelligent person) but other things that make me not want to deal with myself and reality. That's why I have to do a recovery program to fix myself. I tried to do it on my own, but quickly discovered a network or help. It took me about 6 months to fully come to grips with how severe a problem alcoholism is, how long it takes to start getting better, and the constant work to maintain sobriety.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always fought against labelling myself, I just knew what was instore for me if I didnt stop drinking or doing drugs. I'd always dream of what life would be like without it. In the end, whether it was just by chance, I'd made enough mistakes to take the risk and to give it all away. Obviously you have to be honest with yourself, but I am not sure that acceptance is ever enough. For me it was about an undefined goal which, after the early stages of withdrawal became increasingly exciting for me - that is, not knowing what would happen in my life without drugs and alcohol. I tell you, the path is paved for you with drugs and alcohol, without it, your options are limitless. Quite honestly, the most rewarding victories with sobriety are the ones you dont see coming. Its those moments that make it all worth it. Life is pretty exciting when your clean and sober. Good luck. Stay strong.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Whatever we call it, I am glad I have embraced sobriety and am committed to it as my first priority
Old 12-05-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Labels are overrated, the important thing to take away is that we are addicted to alcohol, and moderation doesn't work (at least, it has never worked for me). You're right, it's important to know your enemy, and not to underestimate it.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, lucidelusions

James, well done on taking a significant step. I agree with Dee, though, you need to follow through.

There are some great self-help approaches out there. AVRT is certainly helping me, as is reading and posting here.

We're all rooting for you, James. You can do this!

And I hope it's not too windy where you are today? We're relatively calm down south!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very well stated, James. And I agree with the others. If your self-help methods do not work out (and if you are truly an alcoholic, they won't work for long), follow through and get help, either through AA, private therapy, or another program. And we are always here for you as well!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi James18. I drank for 30 years. Each time that I tried to quit, it was sort of a random challenge to myself. But it didn't have much significance if I failed. And, predictably, I did fail.

100 days ago today, I finally admitted to myself, and to the good people here at SR, that I am an alcoholic. It was actually a huge relief to finally say what I have known inside for a long time. I am an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink since then. I am convinced that part of the reason for my sobriety is that I finally gave myself a reason to quit. I am an alcoholic. And alcoholics can't drink. Period.

I hope your admission provides you with the same motivation to quit as my admission provided to me.

Good luck. Keep us posted.