Notices

New Here-Guidance Please!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here-Guidance Please!

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am a 40 year old mother of two struggling with alcohol addiction. My poison is wine. I was never much of a drinker when I was younger, seeing my parents party all the time and fight when drunk. I started drinking wine about 6 years ago. It started out as occasionally visiting wine festivals, then it was a glass a week, then 5 glasses a week, then 1 a nite, now its a bottle plus every nite, on weekends I can put down a "big bottle" no problem. I know I have a problem and I need to quit completely. I can't stop after one glass. I can't remember the last time i didnt have a day without a drink. I see my sons getting older and they know when im drinking. I guess I'm so sick and tired of being sluggish every morning before work, bloodshot eyes, straw hair and definitely the weight gain. I have gained 40 pounds in 3 years. Divorced but in a new relationship for 3 yrs. I thought my unhappy marriage was the problem, so I got a divorce. No its just me and my addiction. How many have struggled with a wine addiction? And where to start? When I get out of work after I feed my cats and dog, I pour a glass after glass after glass. Plus how many of you hopped from store to store so i don't have the embarrassment of "oh shes a frequent flyer". I want to be healthy again i just dont know where to start. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome Gemuwine (awesome name BTW).

You sound just like me. Your not alone.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html

Be well.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. It's a good place to find support and solutions.

I was definitely a store hopper. It's a fairly common tactic among us alcohol addicts.

Good Luck on your journey!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

YEP, went to different sops on a rota. Good luck
Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post alphaomega. So many similarities.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

gemuwine

You've started already...and in a good place.
Many people will welcome you and reach out to help.
SR is an integral part of my recovery along with AA and Alanon.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! At some point I stopped caring and went to the same store. You need to work at making a plan. Clear steps to get sober the first being a doctor visit and honesty about how much you drink.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But you can change. I was you a couple of years ago and now....... running five miles three times a week, dropped two stone and having the time of my life - without wine. Don't get me wrong - it was difficult but the most difficult thing is that first day without drinking, then the second and then the third. It does get easier believe me it really does - as they all say "one day at a time".

My thoughts are with you xx
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Gemuwine

I was a two bottle a nighter for a very long time. I have two young kids and they are getting old enough to know when mommy is drinking. I am working to stay sober affter relapsing. it is hard. It can be done and it is worth it. hangovers and withdrawal from wine are foul. You have come to the right place. learn all you can and use the suggestions for support. if you are still drinking you may want to see your doctor for help with withdrawal. and be completely honest in how much you drink. it might seem embarrassing or shameful to you but it is bital for any medical assessment but also liberating in taking control and ownership of the problem. and yes. i shopped at a variety of places to avoid a frequnt flyer tag. hang in there.
I
Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Ypu are among friends welcome. I am sober now 2.5 years after struggling and being tormented for years. the first step youve done. It took me years to accept that the best option for me was to embrace sobriety with everything that i had, even though at the time that was a terrifying thought.

In retrospect i came to brlieve that once cravings became part of my life, my capacity for control deteriorated markedly and my emotional reactions became corrupted.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes I agree, with being honest with the doctor. I have brought it up recently, but kind of left out a few glasses here and there. He did say something about my weight gain. I guess I am embarrassed. I wish I could be like I was 6 years ago, I knew what sobriety was then.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Gemuwine. It's great that you have made it here ! Can I suggest that you read the threads here and see what resonates with you. Post as much as you can, comfortably and join your class, ie the December Class. That was great advice I received when joining in September. Its helped me tremendously.

Hang in there !
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As you can see, you are not alone. You can do this. It helps me to remember that others have gone before us, survived, and are thriving. You are not entering unchartered territory at all; instead, you are embarking onto a path common to many, most of whom are ready and willing to help. It's not all easy, but the reward is substantial: sobriety.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gemuwine, I am just like you... I started out slowly about 10 years ago and progressed to one bottle + a little more on weekdays, and a big bottle for Friday and another big bottle for Saturday (Cavit Pinot Gregio). Going to work with the shakes, red eyes, etc. I am on day 3. This site is great, I am on here all the time.

p.s. I always tried to go to different stores. I even told my husband once "I can't go there, I was just in there yesterday" He just laughed because he doesn't really care... I guess it's a female thing.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This is going to be my first, habit along with the addiction is where it will be an obstacle for me... TinaInTexas keep in touch since we are just getting started.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gem i feel your pain. I was a wino. The store thing . . .yep i skipped around or sometimes i would have hubby grab one for me. I had the big bottle every weekend cause i deserved it right? I have two kids and after putting in a week that was my destresser! I am only 11 days in but i feel great. Stay on these threads. Read stories. Everyone here wants to help and we have all been there. You are here. Thats the first step! Welcome!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never to late to quit Gemuwine - it all starts with a day one

This is a very supportive community - glad you've found us

D
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gemuwine! I think you will find a lot of wine mommies getting sober on SR. Red Wine was my poison and I am a mother of four. I am over two months sober now and I have never felt physically and mentally better in my life. The first month and a half was a bear though and I still fight cravings on the weekends. However, if you get through the beginning of sobriety you will see results almost immediately! I am at my ideal weight, I sleep wonderfully and problems from my stomach ulcers have disappeared without any medication! I recommend joining the December quitters thread for a daily support group, reading this website like crazy (there were a couple of threads about store hopping _ makes you feel not so "alone" in this problem), reading other literature about alcoholism (I found Jason Vale's Kick the Drink, particularly helpful) and lately, I have been listening to self hypnosis CDS at night to help with the final cravings. Congratulations on making the decision to take better care of yourself and your family by choosing sobriety!!!