Notices

Regaining mental focus

Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regaining mental focus

Hi everyone,

So I'm 10 days into my sobriety, and I was wondering when someone can expect to regain some mental focus. One of the many problems excessive alcoholism has caused for me over the many years I've spent drinking is that my mental state is a mess. I have so much difficulty focusing or paying attention to anything. When I'm at work, it's next to impossible to focus on work for any length of time, it gives me so the exact symptoms of Adult ADHD where I have a lack of motivation, lack of focus and concentration, and procrastinating with everything. When does this generally tend to get better?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It depends entirely on the severity of your alcoholism. I physically started to feel better at about the 10 day marker. Mentally I was restored at 2 months. Emotionally I am still all over the map at 4 months.
I have spent a year completely sober before and this was when I noticed I was 100% restored. I was almost unrecognizable. My thought process was clear and my sanity had fully returned. I cant wait to get back to that point. Life gets way better the more sober time we have. It is a very exciting process.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bposotive.... You nailed it when I sobered up I realized I had adult ADD. You will defintely have the renewed clarity and fuzzy thinking cleared up by the 30-60 day mark.
But I'm still a bit of a scatter brain, thoughts all over the place. Now it's just one of my quirks.

Talk to your Dr. Though if it is a hindrance. Mines more of an annoyance to others!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey BPositive ,
For me it took a bit longer for things to change 3 weeks was good , 3 months stunning , 6 months for a depression i wasn't aware i had i'd had it so long to lift , 18 months for some dizzy forgetfulness to go.
I think i'm quite stable at 26 months but i'm not sure … onwards is surely the only option .

Stay strong ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish I had something positive to add but these symptoms lasted a long time with me and are still with me, though nowhere near as bad as they were. I feel like mild regular exercise has helped me a lot, as has a better diet. When I cut a lot of sugar out of my diet I noticed a massive change in my energy levels x
Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Talk to your doctor, it may be a residual thing from your drinking time.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It is tough, but like others have said, it will get better x
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will come. There is no set length. I still lack the focus and drive I once had at 3 months sober. Make yourself do it, set some goals, I will not stop working on this document till it is done, I will not take a break til that is done, I will not make a phone call to these 2 things are done, etc. Practice.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am no Doctor, cannot replace their recommendations, however from my personal experience.

Eat fish, or take Omega supplements, Cat 3/6-9
Multivitamins. Also look at wheat grass juice. It can regenerate damaged cells.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt numb and foggy for the first month or so. It's still early days for you BP. You'll go through many phases as you heal.

Congratulations on your 10 days - that's a great achievement. Better times lie ahead.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not entirely sure that anyone is so fully focused on anything that they don't have other thoughts creeping in at some point during the day. Setting goals is good, being fully immersed is good, getting or finding work that engages you completely is better..... brains are like any other muscle aren't they? They need to be flexed and used in order for them to become stronger, so just flex it a little more but be a little less hard on yourself.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with thepatman, I'm no doctor either, but good nutrition helps

our bodies are amazing and can be effected by deficiencies
for example some of the symptoms of menopause due to estrogen deficits, include memory problems, trouble finding words, inability to pay attention, mood swings and irritability
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

BPositive, 19 days is FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I suffer from the same problem. As I attempt mental things, I've learned that focus, attention, and concentration is behavior that you "learn" to do. It is frustrating for me but I'm making progress. It has made me realize that not all the problems that I have are related to addiction to chemical substances. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also felt like I had adult ADHD -always distracted, forgetful, tired and procrastination through the roof. Hated my job, and was making some poor (and very expensive) decisions. Well, 30 years of mostly steady drinking will do that I guess.

At just over 90 days now I would say that these things have diminished about 30%, maybe a little more. Plus I'm way calmer and more patient. Basically I am hoping (from prior experience) to be mostly back to normal (75%) functioning by 6-12 months, with 90% by 18 months. If I'm lucky.