Notices

When is enough enough?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When is enough enough?

I've been coming here for two years now. Two years! That obviously means something. I usually just lurk around the corners, waiting to catch a tidbit or two that relates to my own situation, making me feel better that I'm not the only ****** up alcoholic in America. As if that wasn't obvious already. I drink about six to ten cocktails a night, with at least three to four beers or glasses of wine thrown in for good measure. Which isn't that bad, right? It's not Jim Morrison. Or even Augusten Burroughs. There's always someone worse than me.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well it's bad enough to keep you coming back here Jim - and really, thats what matters - if it's making you unhappy, it's a problem.

What does it take to do something about it? It varies.

I had to crash and burn and lose everything I cared about before I stopped - thankfully there's a lot of other people here smarter than I was Jim - they stopped at earlier points.

You can too - if you're prepared to work at least as hard on your recovery as you do on your drinking

D
Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jim Morrison died at a very early age and I've no idea who the other guy is, sorry.
Do you REALLY believe you're not drinking 'that much'?
Yep there is always someone worse but why would you want to compete to join them?
You've been reading, at least, for two years, so something is making you want to change - how about taking that next step?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What would the next step be? I'm very scared to go to an AA meeting. I have some very problematic family history with that particular organization. Has it worked for you?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to AA Jimbo. I used SR - I found it very useful, but we all have different needs.

If you feel you need more than SR, why not some other meeting based approaches like SMART or Lifering?

here's some links to some of the main recovery players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jimboagust View Post
What would the next step be? I'm very scared to go to an AA meeting. I have some very problematic family history with that particular organization. Has it worked for you?
What could possibly be scarier than the path you are on now? If you've never been to an aa meeting it's worth at least trying. There is nothing to be scared of.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is off-topic, but Augusten Burrough's wasn't a low-bottom drunk by any means. Not that it matters when it comes to alcoholism. Enough is enough when you say it is.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't look at the differences between Jim Morrison and Burroughs, and yourself. Look at the similarities.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^^^very good Raider
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not an AA'er either. I quit with the help of this website.
The next step I was referring to, was putting all you've read on here into action and quitting
Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess enough is enough when you want to be sober more than you want to be drunk.

It took me a long time to make that decision and I'd stooped pretty low and made some very poor judgements in the meantime.

I wish I'd found SR 10 years ago...I could have saved myself and those around me some serious heartache.

How to do it? Well, there are many ways. Dee has posted the link. I use AA and it has helped me. If you've been reading for a while, you will have seen people utilise those different paths to become happily sober. What helped me most in those early days was joining a monthly support group. The friendships I made in there have flourished beyond SR now and those people have become an important part of my life.

I'm wishing you well. Keep reading and posting. There are a lot of people who care here x
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I think a part of the problem is that I'm so incredibly cynical about the recovery process because of my father, who failed many times to become sober (took him about twenty years). I'm also just cynical about human nature. But it really does feel good to tell people about my pain. Thank you all for your support and advice. I will check out all the different support groups. My misgivings about AA, by the way, have nothing to do with the "higher power" element. I'm actually a practicing Christian (whatever that means). Thank you again for this forum. It means a lot, and has meant a lot for these past two years as I've struggled with my disease.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I think a part of the problem is that I'm so incredibly cynical about the recovery process because of my father, who failed many times to become sober (took him about twenty years). I'm also just cynical about human nature. But it really does feel good to tell people about my pain. Thank you all for your support and advice. I will check out all the different support groups. My misgivings about AA, by the way, have nothing to do with the "higher power" element. I'm actually a practicing Christian (whatever that means). Thank you again for this forum. It means a lot, and has meant a lot for these past two years as I've struggled with my disease.
A different way to look at the process of giving up (which is admittedly going to be an eye-opener because you haven't had first hand experience of it yet) is to consider all of the people who have successfully given up.

If one human can do it all humans can do it.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know for me, like Jeni finding this site 10 years ago would have saved me and my family a lot of pain. I have decided to stop drinking on my own. I made the decision to see alcohol for what it is instead of what it is advertised to be. I have spent time on this journey seeking the truth. The truth about booze, about myself, my behavior... My dad was a drunk as well. I read something once that really suck with me, "Alcohol destroyed my life before I ever took a drink."

Failure is a part of life, any life worth living anyway. As far as being cynical goes... we act in spite of cynicism, fear, disappointment, or any other emotional barrier. That is human nature as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drink about six to ten cocktails a night, with at least three to four beers or glasses of wine thrown in for good measure. Which isn't that bad, right? It's not Jim Morrison. Or even Augusten Burroughs. There's always someone worse than me.

I'm an alcoholic and this is more than I drank.

Is it ok for me to stop coming here too?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To me, just attending an AA mtg is a really good idea in the beginning (at least) for someone who is not sure of their path...just a safe place where you get face to face contact and no one judging. In fact, the newcomers in sobriety are the "most important people in the room"...you don't have to share of course if you don't want. If you have some near you, I say try it!