Notices

Recovering and now finding out my 15 year old has tried it

Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering and now finding out my 15 year old has tried it

Still new to recovery and thought I would share this with you.

I was probably not that surprised to find out that my 15
year old son is experimenting or trying alcohol with his friends. He called tonight to say that he was coming home but had to tell us something. My wife who took the call asked him if he is okay, he said yes mum but I have had a little to drink. She said, oh okay how much? Can you get home okay or do we need to come and get you? He said no all good I am close by.
Once home we asked him the usual questions that parents ask because we are concerned for our children and we know what we were like at that age. We asked how often have you tried it? and what else have you tried ? He seemed quite relaxed and not shy or scared to talk to us about this. He said he has tried a cigarette and did not like it, he said he has also tried marihuana, and said it was ok but nothing special.
First of all I said to him that we were
so proud of him for not only being honest, but also wanting us to know. I asked him why he wanted to tell us?
He said that because we were open and honest with him about what age we tried it, he wanted to be honest with us. This made me feel even prouder of my son. The next thing I asked him was did he understand the dangers of alcohol and what it can do to the mind and body? He said that after watching me over the pasty couple of years and what I went through he has fair idea of the addictive nature and also the harm it can cause. He also said that he only wanted to try small amounts after seeing what it did to me.
I gave him a big hug and told him how much I love him.
My son was the one who found his father 9 months ago in the kitchen on the floor in a pool of blood and heavily intoxicated. He stopped the bleeding and called his mother for help.

For the record I am not proud of that though !
Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You should be proud of your son. He's a treasure.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like you have a fine son there Reboswon
I hope now having tried it he gives it all a big 'meh' and moves on

D