Notices

Checking in at 2.5 months

Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in at 2.5 months

I started my sober journey on September 2, 2013. At first, I had no idea how I was going to completely change my lifestyle and give up drinking. The first week was incredibly difficult but slowly but surely the days started to add up. With each day, I started to realize new benefits to living a sober lifestyle but I was definitely in a constant adjustment period.

My first few months have not been without ups and downs. During the month of October, I had a few weekends lost to slips. I'm currently sitting just shy of three weeks of consistent sobriety. I suffered from the classic 30-day struggle. I felt the need to test myself for whatever reason and, looking back, in a way I'm glad I went through that. What I learned from those slips is each one is harder than the next and the recovery period is full of feeling sick, ashamed and anxious. After the last slip, I knew I didn't want to go through that again. My dedication was renewed to a point ever stronger than it was in early September when this journey started.

I'm now about just over 2.5 months in and everything is different. When I look back at how much I have done since the first week of September, I'm amazed. I feel like I have lived more in the past 2.5 months than I have in the past 5 years. I am no longer thinking about alcohol throughout the day and, when I do, shutting down the AV is much easier than it was just a month ago.

Today is Friday and I have no desire to drink. It is a milestone moment for me given Fridays used to be the absolute hardest for me. I had so many prior Fridays spent sitting on this site and white knuckling it to get to 10:00 PM when my cravings would finally subside.

I wanted to share this for all those with me in early recovery. Know that as hard as it is, if you stick with it you will start to see a change in your though process. The struggle will get easier and your old self will start to return to you. I'm so thankful for everyone on SR for the continued support to get me to where I am today. Being able to enjoy the week without being in a constant battle with my AV is a true blessing I never could have imagined just three short months ago.

I am only at the beginning of this journey and I am so happy to be able to be here sharing it with this fantastic community. We can do this together and live the life we deserve free of the demon we once called our best friend. Thank you everyone!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing ZeldaFan! I am glad to be on this journey right along with you. It is amazing how life opens up when we begin focusing on living rather than drinking. You are doing great
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You rock!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go ZeldaFan!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post - and congrats on your sober time!

D
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for your post. keep up the good work. part of my early recovery involved playing the first Zelda for the NES.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

2.5 months and no desire to drink on a friday , thats great

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-23-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us.