Notices

Cravings please go away :( Day 2 almost over..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings please go away :( Day 2 almost over..

I wanna run to the store really quickly and grab some wine. I know I need to concentrate on something else, but I feel like this night is going to suck without my alcohol Ofcourse it's going to be a job in itself to drink because I would have to get the mini wines, hide them from my hubby, possibly drink in the car..ugh the list goes on. What a truly sick disease this is. I'm gonna shower and read a book, hopefully that will take some of the tension off...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

Keep up and tell that voice inside you to shut up, you are thr boss now youre not a slave to this alcoholic anymore!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, sweetmamaof3! The cravings do diminish with time. What are you doing for support? I have been sober for just over a year now, and AVRT has worked for me. It really switched off the cravings for me, maybe it would help you too.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey sweetmama

there are some great tips for cravings here - why not have a read?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told early on that candy helps curb the craving because our bodies are craving the sugar in the alcohol. Not really sure how true this is, but hey, who doesn't like candy, right?

Good Luck Sweetmama, it will get better!
Zube
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each time you beat the cravings you get stronger. Eventually you won't have them at all.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What is the absolute worst thing that will happen tonight as a result of NOT drinking?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ofcourse it's going to be a job in itself to drink because I would have to get the mini wines, hide them from my hubby, possibly drink in the car..ugh the list goes on. What a truly sick disease this is

You just described me! That is exactly what I would do than feel like crap, the paranoia, the hiding, the fear. Read up on AVRT, and play your "tape" forward, will tomorrow be better by drinking today? You know it will not be. Hang here with me! We can do this!! Message me if you need to, us fellow closet wino's need to stick together!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My Father is an alcoholic... HELP!

Hi everyone.

First of all let me please say congratulations to everyone of you that is sober or is attempting sobriety. I personally don't have any first hand experience of alcoholism but my Father is an alcoholic and has tried to quit drinking before but has continually relapsed.

Basically I'm just looking for a bit of advice - my Father has been a heavy drinker for certainly the past 1/2 years - every day and especially in the morning. He has quit drinking before for a week or two at the very most but has always ended up going straight back to it - I believe this is due to him not even attempting to go to AA or get any help - In actual fact he stopped drinking because we basically forced him too. Anyway a few weeks ago he rung my Mum at work and told her that this has to stop - it's getting completely out of control. She took him to the doctor who did a blood test and a liver test (nothing wrong thank God) and then he started going to AA support groups which he really enjoyed. Anyway he did this for about two weeks and was trying to cut down but it just wasn't working and whereas in the past he'd gone cold turkey he has now been told that it's massively dangerous and to be honest he's terrified of what might happen if he does. Well on Monday morning he was in a seriously bad way and said that he wants to stop drinking so badly but he just cant and that he needs to go to rehab where they can safely administer medication and also keep an eye on him. I have never ever seen him this determined to get sober - our life for the past five years has been so difficult to financial stress and this is what has caused him to become an alcoholic - but within the next two months we have a huge contract at work which will enable us to be financially comfortable for the next year or two. He said to me that unless he stopped drinking now he wouldn't be able to handle that new contract work load which would mean the continued pressure and he doesn't want that. His determination seems incredible and he's said that he will continue to go to AA meetings when he gets out of rehab so remain sober.

He went into rehab yesterday afternoon and in the past he has gone cold turkey and had 2/3 hellish days of withdrawal with no medication so I wanted a bit of advice on how you guys think he'll be doing? He's in rehab for a 7 day detox. I've rung the clinic but they don't tell you much and they won't let me speak with my Dad at the moment due to clinic policy.

If any of you that have been through the same thing could please give me a bit of advice or maybe help set my mind at ease - I guess what's worrying me the most is that he may come out of the clinic exactly the same as he went in and then I genuinely don't know what I would do.

Any advice or guidance that you could offer would be so appreciated - not being able to speak with my Dad is making me think the worst.

Thank you in advance everyone.

Ben
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sweetmama, I don't really have much advice because I'm only on day 3 myself, but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. I could have written your letter. It can be such a hassle to drink (!) yet we want it so badly, sometimes nothing else matters, and we'll go out of our way to get our fix.

I try to play the tape forward, remember the mornings you felt your worst, remember the shame you will feel later if you drink, it helps me a little when I'm obsessing over it.
Good luck.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

reposted elsewhere

Last edited by welp81; 11-22-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by least View Post
Each time you beat the cravings you get stronger. Eventually you won't have them at all.
Hear Hear!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mischievous101 View Post
Hi everyone.

First of all let me please say congratulations to everyone of you that is sober or is attempting sobriety. I personally don't have any first hand experience of alcoholism but my Father is an alcoholic and has tried to quit drinking before but has continually relapsed.

Basically I'm just looking for a bit of advice - my Father has been a heavy drinker for certainly the past 1/2 years - every day and especially in the morning. He has quit drinking before for a week or two at the very most but has always ended up going straight back to it - I believe this is due to him not even attempting to go to AA or get any help - In actual fact he stopped drinking because we basically forced him too. Anyway a few weeks ago he rung my Mum at work and told her that this has to stop - it's getting completely out of control. She took him to the doctor who did a blood test and a liver test (nothing wrong thank God) and then he started going to AA support groups which he really enjoyed. Anyway he did this for about two weeks and was trying to cut down but it just wasn't working and whereas in the past he'd gone cold turkey he has now been told that it's massively dangerous and to be honest he's terrified of what might happen if he does. Well on Monday morning he was in a seriously bad way and said that he wants to stop drinking so badly but he just cant and that he needs to go to rehab where they can safely administer medication and also keep an eye on him. I have never ever seen him this determined to get sober - our life for the past five years has been so difficult to financial stress and this is what has caused him to become an alcoholic - but within the next two months we have a huge contract at work which will enable us to be financially comfortable for the next year or two. He said to me that unless he stopped drinking now he wouldn't be able to handle that new contract work load which would mean the continued pressure and he doesn't want that. His determination seems incredible and he's said that he will continue to go to AA meetings when he gets out of rehab so remain sober.

He went into rehab yesterday afternoon and in the past he has gone cold turkey and had 2/3 hellish days of withdrawal with no medication so I wanted a bit of advice on how you guys think he'll be doing? He's in rehab for a 7 day detox. I've rung the clinic but they don't tell you much and they won't let me speak with my Dad at the moment due to clinic policy.

If any of you that have been through the same thing could please give me a bit of advice or maybe help set my mind at ease - I guess what's worrying me the most is that he may come out of the clinic exactly the same as he went in and then I genuinely don't know what I would do.

Any advice or guidance that you could offer would be so appreciated - not being able to speak with my Dad is making me think the worst.

Thank you in advance everyone.

Ben
Ben, if you're still out there - it would be better to start your own thread. Looks like your post got over-looked by being in the middle of someone elses

Hope you're ok - please do post again