this is the real me

Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is the real me

I hate myself.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Perhaps you should get to know yourself... minus the alcohol.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hated myself too.

But I'm glad I got sober - a lot of my perception was coloured, and not for the better, by years of alcohol abuse.

I fought really hard to talk myself out of change too. I was scared to fail, but I was even more scared to succeed.

I promise you tho - there really is nothing to fear - as hard as it was, it wasn't as hard as drinking...I've never regretted getting sober.
D
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hated myself also, and believe me, I still have some horrible moments where I can't imagine why anyone would want to be with me or around me - how anyone could hire me, or trust me. But with the recognition that you are having problems, comes freedom - you have the freedom, right now, to change everything.

Please - start to love yourself how you are right now. We are all people with problems, and for some folks the problems get to them even more than others. That is OK and that is a part of life. You are worthy of love and of loving yourself.

The best way to start loving yourself? Making goals, and sticking with them. Make goals that you want and need, and figure out little steps to get to them. When you are making an effort, that is all you can do in this life. Believe me - when you try your hardest, that is the best possible thing you could ever do. We can't ever do more than we are able to.

Feel free to msg me if you're feeling down. Also, I have called the suicide hotline more times than I can count, and they are great in helping you talk out your feelings.

Believe in yourself.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I listened to everyone - everyone who had bad things to say about me - I internalised that stuff.

Alcohol made it worse - even when I hadn't been drinking those perceptions stayed.

After I was sober for a while, that darkness lifted...I gradually learned to listen to me - my pure voice - and to surround myself with non toxic people.

The difference has been amazing.

D
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I fought really hard to talk myself out of change too. I was scared to fail, but I was even more scared to succeed.

D
Fear of failure and fear of success are kind of the same thing. I think Dee hit the nail on the head. Drinking or using; it's the perfect excuse for never doing anything with your life. Take that crutch/excuse away and what's left? What if you still don't measure up? That's the feeling and mindset that leads a lot of to keep drinking or using long after it's no fun any more.