Notices

Felt a bit nervous doing AA service for first time tonight!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Felt a bit nervous doing AA service for first time tonight!

Hello.

I have been sober for 4 months and been getting back into AA. In the past it was the usual stuff: get wrecked, regret my actions go to AA for a bit and when I felt better again think I could handle my drink and go back out drinking. This pattern had gone on since 2009.
Back at work now, relationship with family better and decorated flat. Something seems to be working this time now in AA and I now have a sponsor.
Tonight though was a bit different at AA and did my first bit of service ever by serving the tea and coffees. I never did this before and was nervous at first but felt a bit more relaxed towards the end. I plan to do Service again next Saturday now I feel a bit more relaxed. It was nice feeling to give something back to AA and it made me feel more part of AA.
Just wondering if it is normal to be a bit nervous at first and has anyone else had a similar experience and what benefits they have found from AA service if they keep doing it?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome, good for you!! I just started going to AA regularly the past 6 weeks or so and have not participated in any service. I am sure if I did I would be nervous though! I think it shows a lot that you're participating in that way- shows a seriousness with desire to help others, give back to the community and invest in AA
Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous in any new role... AA service work is no different. In a short matter of time, I've became friends with several of the guys, and even in a small group of people I'm close to, I get a bit nervous about doing things like handing out chips.

Heck, I'm just now working through the nervousness of actually talking/sharing in the meetings.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The more you do it, the less nervous you'll be.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Keep giving back! It will help keep you from drinking. And way to go, I'm sure everyone appreciated it.