Letting her go... and her constant drama...

Old 11-11-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting her go... and her constant drama...

The ex is gone with a new guy. 2.5 months now.

After obsessively researching this, which I need to stop, I know, I'm 90% sure she has a personality disorder of the cluster B variety (Narcissism, Borderline, Histrionic).

Point being that people who suffer from these traits have an incredibly high tendency towards alcoholism. It gives them an escape and is easy to self medicate with when feeling anxious or depressed.

It was hard getting drunkenly yelled at every two weeks with an unconfirmed blackout the next day and her not remembering all the hateful and embarassing things she said or did. Sometimes in front of other people sometimes not.

At this point I've gone to some al anon meetings and am getting better. Also seeing a therapist and focusing on myself as much as I can.

She drank probably 4-5 times a week to the point of getting very buzzed if not completely tanked. She would show up drunk to photography jobs and clients would complain or not pay her due to her unprofessionalism. She would drive buzzed and sometimes drunk. She would gain weight and have a sizable tummy and then complain that she didn't fit in her clothes. She would insult people in public and has lost more than a few friends and made enemies.

One of the items that most concerned me was her ulcer. After a couple nights of bingeing where red wine was involved she puked for TWO days straight. It scared the crap out of me. I'm not sure if blood was involved but WOW. The doc prescribed antibiotics for her and it went away. This happened twice.

She's a 43 year old party girl. I know from my reading that it is a progressive disease and will get worse as she gets older. My question is from a health perspective, what else does alcohol do? What should I be aware of?

Again, we are not together anymore. I broke it off after tons of abuse... but I do miss her. Just trying to assure myself I made the right decision.

Thanks so much.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JohnnyAlias View Post
Just trying to assure myself I made the right decision.
Johnny, if you have spent more than a couple hours reading posts on the Friends and Family forum, seeing the effects of alcohol on a relationship, you already know you made the right decision.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Right decision for you . . . but . . . . PITY THE NEW GUY!

You may need to review the Boat Owner thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-owners.html

A song for you . . .

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy - YouTube

If you are going to insist on studying the wreckage (now behind you, right?), here is a place to meet many more doing so . . . .

[L3] Leaving: Detaching from the Wounds of a failed BPD Relationship