Notices

losing my mind today

Old 11-09-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JBDS1281

losing my mind today

Ok so I've been sober a little over 7 months now and I've been doing pretty well. But for some reason today is driving me nuts I'm absolutely dying for a drink. My plans for the afternoon fit unexpectedly changed so I don't have much to do this afternoon the weathers a little crappy and this is exactly the kind of day I used to love to drink. I can't really talk to my girlfreind about it cause every time I mention wanting a drink she tells me if I drink again I have to move out our go to rehab. I don't know I'm just feeling a little stressed out and grumpy today.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry today is a little rough - there's lots of support here tho.
Can you do something with your gf maybe?

It could be coffee or movies...a walk...but you don't even need to go out - working on one of those projects in your home we all have to do or just hanging out together could be cool?

D
Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about getting out of the house and going somewhere you have never been? Even take a drive to a town nearby that you have never visited? Just something new to hit the reset button. Good luck! You can do it!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JBDS1281

She works second shift so she's gone for the night. I'm home with the kids for the night which keeps me pretty busy most of the time. And I do have a few projects to work on so I should definitely be able to keep busy I just wish I could get the thought out of my head.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

ever tried urge surfing?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 11-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would hope you wouldn't drink seeing as how you're in charge of the kids.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi JBD. That happened to me a few times in the first year. Kind of caught me off guard, since I did well most of the time & was thankful to be free of it. Those thoughts became much less frequent & finally stopped all together (for me). Please know that it's normal to have this happen. Glad you posted about it - being here helps get us through some challenging times.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JBDS1281

It has gotten alt easier over the past few months. Today has just been rough for some reason. I definitely appreciate all the support and advice I get here.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm at roughly seven months as well and for whatever reason have been struggling. Perhaps it's because I'm recently unemployed and the stress of looking for work and interviewing is pushing me. Also the short days have always been difficult. To combat my madness I've tried to step up my exercise and I'm trying to get out to see people (sober people) as much as possible. I also keep going over the diary I kept in early sobriety. It was much worse back then and I've decided I'm NOT letting it get to me. I think reaffirming our commitment will simply be part of life.

Hang in there man. Seven months is a long time. Don't let it go.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi JBDS, I'm over 18 months and I still have times where I struggle so I know exactly where you're coming from. Yesterday I went to lunch with a bunch of girls; it was a warm day by the beach and the white wine looked so good in the glasses.
I knew I wouldn't have any, but sometimes you get that feeling of regret. As time goes on though so does my confidence that I can ride through those times. I bet you're growing stronger as well.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say Hi neighbor!! East Pete here. My daughter went to the Retreat for her inpatient program. Did you make it through the day? I wish I would have read this earlier- I would have asked if you wanted to meet for coffee. Are you doing OK?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JBDS1281

Yup I made it through. I made it a movie night with the kids I definitely feel alot better now. I am grateful for the help.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Every time you get over a hurdle you grow stronger. It does get easier. Glad you made it through.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, posting here and then taking action.

I know exactly what you mean about that urge—it haunted me for some time after I quit. I have no idea if this is relevant to you or not, but for me, the big breakthrough was to realize that I was missing something that didn't exist. In my mind, I had these romanticized images of relaxing with a drink, enjoying the sunset or maybe sitting by the fire. But in reality, there was nothing romantic or relaxing about my drinking. It was never just "a drink." The reality of my drinking wasn't a beautiful sunset, but waking up battered and exhausted, filled with regret. Once I finally separated out the truth from the fantasy, there wasn't anything left to miss about drinking.

Anyway, sounds like a passing thing. Seven months is quite an achievement. I had a movie night with my kid, too. Can't beat it. Congratulations!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ReadyAndAble- I couldn't agree more with what you said. That is exactly what I found myself doing.