Notices

Pub and curry!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pub and curry!

Morning everyone from a bright English autumn morning. I am on day 58 and doing pretty well.My AV seems to have left the building. Might be too hot in this kitchen for him.

I am out tonight with a group of lifelong friends for the traditional English Saturday night of a few pints and an Indian meal. Fantastic! I saw them last on my day 7 and got through the night ok. I am going to feel pretty proud of myself when they all know that I am treating this as pretty serious and not just a passing phase.

I wanted to post here because although I feel pretty strong and secure at present I also know that coming on here helps to strengthen further my resolve.hope everyone is getting through the weekend ok and here's to the life of sobriety!!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work Toffee 1. I am only on day 8 BUT I know what you mean about the English tradition. Have a great evening tonight.
I think drinking is SOOO ingrained in UK culture it is scary. I haven't told my family about my decision to stop drinking, and it is early days yet. The next time I see them will be Christmas and whilst my immediate family will be somewhat surprised (yet supportive), I think my extended family (who I see Boxing day) will be gobsmacked. I worry they will feel a bit uncomfortable about it all as they are BIG drinkers. They will even say 'come on, have some drinks,' or 'is it the calories you're worried about?' or 'are you pregnant?' To them there is NO logical reason NOT to drink. But, I've rehearsed it in my head, and it's my gain ultimately, and that's what matters.
Congratulations on your achievements so far!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You two ever thought of working for the UK tourist board Xx
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Toffee1, Jessicacat1, yeah, I completely agree about drinking being such a big part of the British culture. I have lots of foreign friends who simply don't understand it. In fact some of them were warned before moving here to beware of the binge drinking us Brits do!

I believe that lots of people are uncomfortable when you decide not to drink cos they secretly wish that was them, able to say no. Secretly they probably have issues with drink themselves. People are scared that they'll be the last left on the sinking ship. However if they see you being such a good example, they'd be tempted to join you themselves probably.

Good luck tonight Toffee1. Just think how great you'll feel tomorrow morning when you wake up without the hangover! Plus if this beautiful weather persists then you'll feel great enough to make full use of the day!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just watch 'police, camera, action' and see all the cctv pics of stag nights ending up in horrific drunken fights in Cardiff/ Nottingham/ Manchester etc.....THAT's enough of a tourist advert to put people off the UK drinking culture!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessicacat1 View Post
Just watch 'police, camera, action' and see all the cctv pics of stag nights ending up in horrific drunken fights in Cardiff/ Nottingham/ Manchester etc.....THAT's enough of a tourist advert to put people off the UK drinking culture!
Yes, but filming people walking into the theatres or sports centres etc, wouldn't really make good viewing would it
Old 11-09-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

True Skye2!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just avoid any pub named The World's End. I don't want the power to go out this weekend.

Seriously though, I'm kind of glad that the US culture is a little more teetotaler oriented. I would be so f***d if I lived over there.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

I think you're right Jessicacat, were the odd ones who don't drink. There are some work colleagues I would not go to pub with as they would secretly put alcohol in my drink if they thought I wasn't drinking, deeming me as miserable, no fun.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to think UK culture was very drinking orientated but as I've got sober I realize it was more the circle of people I associated with. I used to think everyone drank an was really shocked to discover that many people DON'T drink

I agree,for young people pubs and clubs seem the norm but as we get older most people do move away from that. Obviously an alcoholic's friends are probably alocholics or at the very least,heavy drinkers. Part of getting sober for me has been lifestyle changes and meeting new non drinking chums