Notices

Day Five of Recovery

Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Five of Recovery

Hi to all, i am new to this site and posting on sites in general. I am on day five of my sobriety. This is not my first attempt. I have been trying for successful recovery since the year 2000. I have had periods where I haven't drunk, 18 months, ten months, 4 and a half years, but over the past three years I have been up and down. Always making promises to my husband and two boys and myself that I wont drink again, but always do. This last few drinking occassions have been bad and im pretty much on my last chance with regard to keeping my marriage and family together. My husband is very hurt, he is a good man, and wont talk to me at the moment. I get it, hes heard it all before. I am struggling with tiredness, headaches and feel very emotional. I know its withdrawal symptoms. Still affecting my family because I am finding it impossible to help with dinner and chores when I get home from work. Im not looking for sympathy. I did this, this is the consequences of drinking and breaking my promises to family and self. Its hard.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome HELENAC! It's great to have you join us. This is where I came crawling in 7 yrs. ago and found the support to be amazing. It helps so much not to be alone.

At the end of my drinking career I found it to be exhausting. It was never fun anymore, just a terrible habit that brought me nothing but humiliation and misery. You don't need it in your life. It feels so good to be free of it. You can do this.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn, exhausting, humiliating and misery ..... i can so relate
Thank you for your post and quotes ... means a lot
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Helena - This site has been invaluable to me - the support here is unbelievable - hope you stay with us
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Helen - things will get better - I promise

D
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling very emotional .... wish my husband would forgive me ... have hurt him too many times
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Helenic my husband put up with years of me drinking, I don't know how he put up either me, truth told. We parted for a whole and reconciled but it is going to take a long while to gain his trust again, keep visiting SR, for support and experiences with like minded people who give their knowledge and experiences freely to help us and hopefully we can go on to help others, too.
I'm a 100 and odd days sober now, and intend to stay that way, come what may, my body and mind want peace and sobriety, a clear mind, no hangovers, embarrassments and memory loss.
Keep visiting and congratulations on making those first steps.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Helenac - I'm new to SR and on day 5. I just recently posted that I haven't gone more than about a month sober in the last 18 years. I haven't told my wife, kids or anyone else yet that I quit. I am afraid of getting their hopes up. But, I think I am more afraid that they will just look at me sadly and sigh... In my mind I picture that I will just not drink and eventually the subject will come up. Most likely from my wife and I'll simply say, "I don't drink anymore." I have broken so many promises to stay sober that I can't bare to make them anymore. They sound hollow even to me. Welcome to the site, I think you are going to find the people here very encouraging and supportive!!