Notices

I'm terrified but I'm doing it anyway.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm terrified but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm sitting here, bags packed and debating about if I'm going to actually go.

I'm headed off to New York, for the first time, for a long weekend. As a diagnosed severe agoraphobic with the extra added spice of general anxiety disorder and a die hard introvert, this could not be more terrifying. I'd actually be way more OK getting up on a stage and performing then doing what I am about to do.

Being an introvert, big, unfamiliar cities tend to deplete my energy and exhaust me. I'm a highly sensitive person who gets easily overwhelmed with too much notice, smells, lights, etc.

Since I no longer consume what I thought was helping my anxiety (NOT) I have to rely only on my breathing, meditation, prayer , faith and the kindness of strangers.

I'm scared. My anxiety is toying with my sanity and I'm not able to back out.

Send me some of that good SR juju and peace.

I might have never needed it more.

XO AO
Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Go. New York is awesome. You have a plan. You can do it.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like that Mel Brooks movie,"High Anxiety"! Hope you get a room on the ground floor. Can your M.D. prescribe a limited amount of anti anxiety meds? Avoid booze or other addictive substances like the plague. Good luck and keep posting here. If it gets rough, let us know and maybe we can help in some way. Every good wish to you.

W.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope it goes AO.

I have been there ones – it is a rather fast going town with enormous amount of people. I do not have any particular fobi's but I do prefer more serenity than big cities.

I hope you will have a good trip anyway.

You will get back to the windy city where you can relax

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey Alpha.

Yeah, I get it. I started getting anxious just reading your comments. I don't have a problem with traveling to big cities, but each time work required me to do so, I looked at it as a vacation, a chance to experience something new. And I had a better time than I could have imagined.

When you get off the plane, act like you've lived there your entire life. You're Mayor Bloomberg...you own New York City. And, don't forget to ask for help if you need it.

There are a gazillion AA meetings in the city, and many have great entertainment value. You might just recognize a couple of people in the meetings from TV, movies and the music industry. People love it when there's someone in the room visiting from out of town. They'll bury you with support. Your biggest problem if you identify yourself in an AA meeting is probably going to be deciding which invitation for lunch, dinner, coffee you'll accept. Or turn down.

I'd invite you to meet me at a meeting, but I won't be around this weekend. Instead, if you do go to a meeting, let the people there take care of you.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will be fine...NYC on the other hand might not be able to handle the likes of AO

Safe travels
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck! I hope you make it and enjoy it. I am not extreme, but have some agorophobic tendencies with my anxiety issues. I was very anxious when we took the kids to NYC, but really enjoyed the trip afterall.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Introvert?!Shy ? Unassuming? hmm

I definitely do not get that from your SR persona,lol. I would use words more like ( on occasion ) ornery, cantankerous, opinionated, strong willed and all of these in the most complimentary ways possible. Along with caring, thoughtful, helpful and other good qualities.

I'm with JD watch out NYC

I love going to NYC and other big cities, not being from one I see them more like weekends in Disney or some other make believe place, as if people could actually live in such enviros for real, everyday. Hope you can see your way to having fun the parks , museums, restaurants ect are awesome, heck just looking up is fun, such wonderful architecture.
wish you well and don't forget to bring the SR you too!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I'm sitting here, bags packed and debating about if I'm going to actually go.

I'm headed off to New York, for the first time, for a long weekend. As a diagnosed severe agoraphobic with the extra added spice of general anxiety disorder and a die hard introvert, this could not be more terrifying. I'd actually be way more OK getting up on a stage and performing then doing what I am about to do.

Being an introvert, big, unfamiliar cities tend to deplete my energy and exhaust me. I'm a highly sensitive person who gets easily overwhelmed with too much notice, smells, lights, etc.

Since I no longer consume what I thought was helping my anxiety (NOT) I have to rely only on my breathing, meditation, prayer , faith and the kindness of strangers.

I'm scared. My anxiety is toying with my sanity and I'm not able to back out.

Send me some of that good SR juju and peace.

I might have never needed it more.

XO AO
Hi AO,

I think EndGame's suggestion on going to AA while in NYC is a good idea! I like it!!

Unfortunately, I have no pearls of wisdom to offer you or anyone who has social anxiety.

I am 100% the opposite. I can't get enough. For me, there is never too many people, smells, sounds, lights, etc. I have often wished I could be more subdued and am often envious of people who are quiet and shy. That is the honest truth.

I could not go to NYC this early in my recovery. I know myself and I know I am just not strong enough. Not now anyway...

Stay strong and keep us posted!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by FourSeasons View Post
I could not go to NYC this early in my recovery. I know myself and I know I am just not strong enough. Not now anyway...
Imagine yourself living here. Everything to do with my relapse was in NYC.

But I love it too much to leave.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Imagine yourself living here. Everything to do with my relapse was in NYC.

But I love it too much to leave.
I totally get it! I live in a major city too (though nothing is like NYC). I love it too much to leave. I just need to stay vigilant and mindful all the time!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck in New York, AO. Just remember, if you can make it there, you can make it any where. It's up to you. (Wait a minute, is that a song?) Haha.

Seriously, you are gonna love New York. Many years ago, when I was in college, I worked at an information desk at the student union. We prided ourselves on being able to answer any question, university-related or not, that was thrown at us. One night, a student called and asked us what the secret of life was. I am not sure if the caller was having an existential crisis or was just bored. Anyway, we took an informal poll at the student union that night and the answer we came up with was simply this: "Do stuff". i.e. experience life; get off the couch; try something new; stretch your limits. That over-simplified answer has actually stuck with me for many years. The older I get, the more true I think it is.

Being sober, we have the opportunity to "do stuff" that we may not have had the chance, or the courage, to try when we were drinking.

So, go to New York. Let us know how it goes. I expect to hear good things upon your return. Have fun "doing stuff".
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Wow, AO! How brilliant and brave are you?! Think how fantastic an achievement this will be and how you'll feel knowing you've done it! If you approach this trip with anything like the grit, determination and amazing humour you show here, you will love every minute and they will just adore you!

Go for it, girl! You're a true inspiration for me and I'll be sending you cyber jujus every step of the way...
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AO, I think you and NYC will be a wonderful fit for each other. New Yorkers are much nicer than we non-NYers are lead to believe. I am an introvert, as well(who comes across as extroverted, which I imagine you do, too) and I love NYC! It is an easy place to be an "observer". Why do you think so many artists and authors live in NYC?? There are enough weirdos there that no one will think anything of you staring at them and there are so many fun characters to watch. NYC is one of the only places in the world that anyone can feel comfortable in their own skin. Sending lots of good juju, love and admiration!! Look out Big Apple, AO is coming to town!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you like hot dogs go to Gray's Papaya!!!!! There's one in midtown and one in the village. I haven't eaten a hot dog since I quit drinking but for grays I'd make an exception

Have a fantastic time, relax and enjoy your trip. There are actually some great quiet places if you are a bit overwhelmed by the hussle and bussle. Take a stroll through Thompson square park(alphabet city) St. Mary's peace garden, MOMA. And my #1 recommendation if you need a zen moment in NY is The Clousters!!!! It is truly amazing absolutely bring you to your knees how beautiful!!!

Be well get out there and enjoy!!
Look out 212 NYC
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, bring some mint oreos and pop one in your mouth when you get anxious

Seriously kidding, we just bought concert tickets for a festival in Atlanta next September. I do not fly and the last time I traveled it was for another concert in Nashville. 19 hours of driving because I DO NOT fly.

You can do this alphaomega! I'll be looking in your direction to give me a pep talk next year
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the city these days either...but I get in, acclimatise, do what I have to do and then head home

Hope you're having a great day AO

D
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm on the plane. I can't believe it. In part due to you all. You guys got me, dare I say, a wee bit excited ?

Don't let my beard fool you, I'm a child. (The Hangover Movie)

Pussycat in tigers clothing.

Here we go...
Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It might sound silly Alpha, but get yourself a small amethyst or kunzite crystal and pop in your bra while you are they, both crystals are great for anxiety.

Sending positive reiki vibes your way x
Old 11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I'm on the plane. I can't believe it. In part due to you all. You guys got me, dare I say, a wee bit excited ?

Don't let my beard fool you, I'm a child. (The Hangover Movie)

Pussycat in tigers clothing.

Here we go...
Hey Alpha.

Let us know how you're doing.

Lots of folks are pulling for you here.