Notices

Marijuana and drinking I need to quit both!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Marijuana and drinking I need to quit both!

I sobered up a few times but never quit marijuana. I think because I don't quit smoking it causes me to relapse. I also spend too much money on Mary Jane. Both currently is taking over my life. This is my first day sober. However I have one tiny bowl left....drinking is the worse and I feel shaky and anxiety right now due to drinking daily and quitting now. Is it possible to go cold turkey quit on both. I've been smoking forever too. I wish my life was cleaned up and my habits gone.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome willdequit

I was addicted to both too - I agree that one fed the other - I couldn't be high and not drunk, or drunk and not high.

I've never regretted giving both up tho - I got my life back

You should be ok to just quit the smoke.
I did - it wasn't pleasant - I was pretty irritable and a little run down - but it wasn't unbearable either.

With the drink tho, cold turkey can sometimes be dangerous.
You're better off seeing a Dr if you can, really.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HiDee74. I think I'll be ok not seeing a doctor to quit alcohol. I'm a little shaky and high heart rate and anxiety, but I know it's just withdrawals and I've experienced it before. I could already feel myself getting out of it and feeling better. Over the last two months in slowly started drinking more. I was drinking daily tell blacking out the last few days. I just need to quit completely now and have been using this site and other sites about alcohol effects to think long and hard about what I'm doing to my life and body. This site always helps.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad the site helps. I found that quitting for a few days, especially when motivated by remorse, wasn't too hard. Staying quit day after day requires a lot more support and a lot more positive reaction on my part.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

However I still am suffering today. I wish there's a way to make it easier. I'm so used to smoking the bong. However, I know I'll never sober up and I'll go broke if I don't put it down. Could praying help? I don't want to become an overly religiously crazy recovered addict which I see sometime though. I just need to share my feelings right now and my suffering.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can always share your feelings here. That's our purpose; to help you and listen to you. Do see a doctor if you feel too badly. Alcohol detox can be dangerous.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Praying, meditating, relaxed breathing, all of these help when you're feeling anxiety and withdrawal. I started on antidepressants and an anti-anxiety med, and they really helped me get through the bad feelings of quitting alcohol. Maybe going to a doc, or a community health center would help you - it did for me, and the meds they gave really did get me through painful times.

But if you want to quit cold turkey, if your mind and will is behind it, you can do it. That's all that gets us all through anything - willpower and determination.

As for the website, I would literally sit and chat with people through my urges, sometimes for hours each day, and it really supported me through everything. Keep posting and talking to us! We are so glad to have you here
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah. My older sister is telling me to go in to see a doctor a few minutes ago also. I think I'll be ok. Just going to drink more water, eat a vitamin and some food, take a shower and try to relax and wait it out. I've been here before, I know it's going to pass. My sister told me to get one beer to help the withdrawals, but if I get one I'll get buzzed and buy a case. Our other sister died in 2007 from a heart attack after quitting cold turkey after prolonged drinking. I haven't drank as much as she was at the time, but I could tell I'm getting there. I know why it's dangerous to quit cold turkey, but I'll be alright, I have a strong heart cause I was a hotshot fire fighter all summer working heard. I just need some mental support as my brain and body pull through all of the damage and withdrawals.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a few links here that I read when I quit:

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting
https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/...from-marijuana
Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame
Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey man, if you have a sibling who died recently after quitting drinking, I would really urge you to go to a doctor for that simple fact... you may be at risk.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I need to hear about the mj addiction. Ever since it's been getting legalized countrywide the addict in me is chomping at the bit to take a 420 vacation. Thanks for sharing on the forum.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I spend about 90 dollars every three days on it. I wake up and smoke in the middle of the night. Now I have a beer too and watch cable tell I pass back out. I want a good paying job but most of them have drug tests, hair tests for the specific one I want. Also I have no job, because fire season is over, and it's bad that I'm spending so much money on weed with no current job. I want to do an apprentice program I construction but can't even pass the drug test if I was picked.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Johnston & co: Yep, marijuana addiction is real, but I think that it gets a "soft rap" because the physical symptoms aren't deadly and are far less dangerous than alcohol. Doesn't make it any less addictive though - especially for those of us who can't control substance and alcohol use.

Picking up marijuana wouldn't be worth it, as 2 months down the road you'd find yourself smoking every day, worrying about your stash getting low. The money would become inconsequential, and on those days you ran out you'd be as grumpy as a junk yard dog with a one-track mind. Good luck concentrating on work or family - let alone recovery - when you're after a bag. Not to mention you'd be putting yourself around dealers and other users.

Let's face it, we're not the type of crowd who can moderate these things. If we were, we wouldn't be here.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm having sort of a hard time too with thoughts of smoking, I'm not going to because I'm being randomly drug tested for a least a couple more months as a result of my last DUI, but the seed is planted (no pun intended). It's always this way with me, I have a long time love affair with pot that started when I was 15. I get sober but start to miss it after a few months. I'm steadfast in my belief that I can't drink anymore, but can't imagine never getting stoned again. I eventually give in and smoke, then an INSANE unbearable craving for alcohol takes over. Cut to drinking 8-15 beers a day everyday until my life is unmanageable again or I get in some sort of trouble. Get sober, repeat cycle..
Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow dano1975 your story is similar to mine. I started smoking when I was 15 also. I never could quit. But I need to give it a try. I quit drinking for short periods but always relapse and never have tried to stop smoking too. So this is what I'll try this time around. No more Ganga no matter how much I miss it and no beer. I just have to keep telling myself that.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AlmA

HI boys...

I am similar... I always been on something... a
I stop smoking and drinking on the 7th... apart I like pills on top...
and am scared to ****...

But I always start just a little bit here there and get back in the hole again...
If we do not pick we will be ok...

but never bite the APPLE...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was exactly the same with drinking and smoking, I told myself that if I quit both that would be too hard, but every time I had a drink I wanted to smoke. Everybody is different, but if one drug is a trigger for the other, quitting both at once is probably the best chance of recover in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AlmA

I go for quitting all....
Half quitting never works for me...

Like MrBen said.. one calls the other...

Have to have a new strategy in life.
change routines and live in a different way.
Want different results...
do it differently...
what about living without drugs-drinks
IT CAN BE DONE!!!
OTHERS HAVE DONE IT!!!
WE CAN IF WE PUT OUR MINDS TO IT!!!
The same as we put our minds to take!!!
The same effort to STop!!!

Just repeat when you are in the verge...
NEVER BITE THE APPLE

That is going to be what I am going to be telling me the next few weeks...
We have to sprint and jump the Fence...
just keep going straight.
IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up both almost 2 and a half years ago at the age of 50. It can be done.

The first year of recovery is quite a ride, but it DOES get better and easier. I use the 12 steps to help me live life sober.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
Have to have a new strategy in life.
change routines and live in a different way.
De acuerdo, amigo.