Notices

Hi guys,

Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

Hi people,

well this is my first time posting on a site like this. I guess you could say I'm a borderline alcoholic in that extreme stress triggers me to drink well beyond excess n this has been getting worse n worse for the past 5 years. On average I get absolutely smashed 3 times a week n if available will abuse drugs as well if accessible. However, alcohol is my main weakness and everything else I do wrong is because of that.

It has cost me a lot in terms of health, relationships with family, my job n finances. I spose you could say I've been going down gradually for the last 5 years. I know I have to stop but i'll be honest I work in a high pressure environment with little privacy or respect for people's individuality, when I feel boxed in I respond by getting absolutely drunk n doing all sorts of outrageous things which I'm deeply ashamed of.

I'm pretty much here coz all my friends who drink a lot or do a lot of drugs don't see any problem with this n the friends who have tried to help me have got there own lives to live n have heard me talk like this 100's of times, so they couldn't really give a crap anymore.

I'm pretty much on the edge just hanging on, I know it is just one more step to me falling into oblivion.

It'd be good to just talk to people who are or have been in a similar situation to me n learn from them I s'pose.

Peace
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marco

good to see another aussie join the ranks.

It's really good you're thinking about this now cos I didn't worry about it, or ignored it...I fell deep into drinking everyday by the end.

I know you'll find a lot of support here - and a few ideas on what to do too

welcome

D
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Welcome
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Marco!

What you're doing to yourself sounds exhausting.

There is a lot of great support here and a lot of wonderful people.

Good to meet you!

Best,
Melina
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks a lot
Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah, I got a little saying of mine "give the **** a miss", haha
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Marco! Glad you found us. SR is a great place.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Marco8 -
I spent some time in Australia (nearly moved to Melbourne) and I found it impossible to socialize without drinking something. Teetotalers are like unicorns in Oz, they are merely legend! hahaaa. I would have had to find an entirely new group of friends if I'd moved and got sober there.

So, my question is, what kind of support system would you have if you decide to really go for it and change your life for the better? Are you comfortable looking into meetings in your area?

This is a great start here at SR, it has helped me tremendously and it's ptreey much my sole form of support besides a few sober friends...I'm 30 days today and I feel amaaazing! So full of gratitude, my heart could explode~!

Good luck and keep posting!!

Shay
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeah, I kno booze is a big part of aussie culture, one i wish I never became a part of. I dunno what to do for help yet, but this is my 1st step. I already feel better with all the encouragement i'm getting online but am not counting my blessings yet.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Marco and welcome to SR.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Counting your blessings is precisely what you may want to do. Manifest what you want with your words and your actions for positive change. You/we are more powerful than you could ever imagine.
You're taking the vital first steps and that's courageous in itself.
Whenever I'm in a situation where I'm tempted to drink, I simply 'play the tape
Forward'. How will I feel in an hour, 2 hours, tomorrow ??? The answer is always the same. It works for me and keeps me from taking the first sip since I know how it ends. My addicted brain is the thing trying to convince me that anything would be different..
Stay strong. Glad to have you here !
Shay