Notices

First Friday sober in 3 years

Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Friday sober in 3 years

So today is day two of me not drinking and my first Friday for a few years I will be trying (hopefully successfully) to not drink. The thing I am most worried about though is the how boring I will probably find tonight and I am worried I will turn to drink to take the boringness away. Any tips for dealing with this? Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get easier - do not give in.

Go for a walk, drink some tea, see a movie.

There is just one purpose this week-end, feel as well as you can and stay of the alcohol.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't drink.

Find something, ANYTHING else to do. It is tough in early sobriety to get over that initial hump but it can and HAS been done. I noticed you said you will "hopefully" be trying not to drink. Do not think that way, at least for today. DO. NOT. DRINK. TODAY.

Go for a walk, a movie, load up on dvd's, order a pizza, find an AA meeting, go to walmart and just shop/look around, the mall, a park, ANYTHING to distract yourself. You can do this. You will feel better waking up refreshed and not hungover tomorrow. Then wash , rinse and repeat.

Have more faith in yourself, you do not HAVE to drink today. So don't! We can overcome this addiction. It just takes persistence and a new way and outlook of life.

Start today.

Be well my friend
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Pj, I kept telling myself every minute, every hour, I was getting further away from the alcohol. If you go back, you have to go thru it all over again. Keep going forward. It gets easier. Great job on 2 days. You rock!!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys . Decided I need to start looking forwards and be more positive instead of looking back. Just going to watch a load of films and eat everything in sight! Even after 2 days I can taste food so much better!!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying food now too!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds good PJ - making plans and finding healthy positive things to do ids key I think

D
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Find a new hobby. I did and worked a treat.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I am finding it difficult tonight (Friday) with cravings for alcohol. I have walked, made dinner, watched some TV, cleaned one room of the house, laundry, and it's still so EARLY! Now I'm on SR hoping to find more inspiration.

I do feel a bit scared and pretty anxious. I will not drink today but my body is not used to having to "wind down" after a busy week at work...without alcohol. Music seems to be a trigger for me. I keep trying to relax with music, but I generally turn on music when drinking so that's a bust for now...

I am going to go lift weights.

Congrats on your first few days. I am in the same boat. WE CAN DO THIS!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm huge on to-do lists. Not everything on them is chores and whatnot. Tonight my to-do list includes working on my thesis, going for a run, putting together some decorations for a friends bridal shower, watch a movie, etc. Sometimes I put super easy things (brush teeth, listen to the radio) on them just to have extra stuff to cross out I find that very helpful in my day to day life, but ESPECIALLY in my free time. It gives me a sense of purpose and helps me actually relax knowing I've gotten some stuff done, instead of feeling restless, bored and thirsty.

Movies and snacks are a great friday night. Popcorn, anyone?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot to mention, coming to this site and posting were also on my to-do list
Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GentleSoul View Post
Thanks for your post. I am finding it difficult tonight (Friday) with cravings for alcohol. I have walked, made dinner, watched some TV, cleaned one room of the house, laundry, and it's still so EARLY! Now I'm on SR hoping to find more inspiration.

I do feel a bit scared and pretty anxious. I will not drink today but my body is not used to having to "wind down" after a busy week at work...without alcohol. Music seems to be a trigger for me. I keep trying to relax with music, but I generally turn on music when drinking so that's a bust for now...

I am going to go lift weights.

Congrats on your first few days. I am in the same boat. WE CAN DO THIS!
Hi GentleSoul and thanks for your post

Walking really seemed to help me last night! Just getting out and enjoying where I live without a can in my hand was a slightly daunting but equally rewarding experience!

Good luck with your fight my friend! Together we can do this!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what is boring is having a single purpose in life - to drink. Then being hungover the next day. To me that is the worst. Once you are out of the tunnel-vision of acute withdrawals, your life will start to blossom and you will notice that you have the ability to do whatever you want, and to engage in these activities with your whole heart. I read a quote on SR once that stated, "Alcohol gives you the sky but takes away your wings." Think about it . . . it is so true!

Great job on your Sober Friday!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

PJ - congratulations! what a great decision you have made.

we get bored, because we now have countless hours on our hands because we moved everything (friends, family, hobbies, reading, exercise, etc) out of our lives in order to make room for more drinking, just bring them back in - they have been waiting for you

Enjoy!