Notices

Cigarettes and trying to quit in recovery

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Cigarettes and trying to quit in recovery

Would like to hear some stories of peoples cigarette smoking during recovery. Did you quit or are planning/trying to? How far into your recovery did you kick the habit? If still trying, how many attempts so far? What was your reasoning for trying to quit when you did?

At 5 months clean i have attempted several times. Longest stretch has been 2 weeks without one. Other times ive made it between 2-7 days. Have just moved back in with parents which has been stressful so i have taken them back up, but badly want to kick them for good.

I'm starting a four week course tomorrow then i have forklift and truck licence tests so i've decided to handle one thing at a time and postpone my next attempt til after the course/driving tests.

Right now i'm thinking i'll make my next attempt around mid december, really wanna get a hold on this by new years.

Personally i hate cigarettes, rarely ever smoked them while on drugs cos i was always smoking weed. I've basically taken them up since i got clean.

I firmly believe if we can overcome our D.O.C addiction then we have the strength to overcome cigarettes too! It often seems to be the last lingering addiction for many, but we are in recovery to live a healthier life, so i feel quitting cigs is inevitable and a necessary goal to work towards.

Has anyone been successful at quitting in the first 6 months of recovery? Did anyone find it was just too much to take on in the early days?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vinny I'm one of those that finds it too hard to take on in early recovery! In fact I'm smoking more now than I did before! I do want to quit and will have to put a start time on it soon. But, for now I'm going out for a smoke!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sitting just shy of 9 months and have not quit entirely. However, I rarely buy packs of cigarettes. I went with electronic cigarettes to replace the addiction to regular cigarettes, and for the most part it has worked. Used to smoke a pack a day or more, now it's rare for me to have more then a couple. As per advice I have not given it a true try, and don't plan on going that route until after I get a year away from my other devils.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah it's tough in early recovery, sounds like your doing well though Steven.

CleaninLI how long you been sober? These forums are great, i feel a lot less alone since joining.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I come from the alcohol side of things.

I stopped drinking almost 3 months ago and cigarettes a couple of weeks ago.

It is still a struggle at time, but also a relive.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Vinny you are actually ahead of me in this game! I've been painkiller free for 8 months but am using suboxone as maintenance. I'm glad you are here on SR. You are right you are definately not alone!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't smoke, only would smoke when super high or drunk. However I know with my moms experience she is able to cut down with the e cig? Just give yourself time.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I'm a couple months shy of being 2 years clean. I have a carton of cigs to finish up and then I'm going to try to put them down. I couldn't let go of this crutch of my cigarettes. I do think they're disgusting though. I don't smoke at home. At home I smoke the ecigs. Problem is I'm rarely home. So around the end of next month I'm going to attempt to put down the real cigs and stick to the ecigs. I also have some dental work being done and don't want the cigs to stain the expensive work.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cigarettes was the hardest chemical substance problem I had to give up. 1 years 4 months no cigarettes and the urge to smoke is still there. However it can be lived with. Rootin for ya.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the feedback much appreciated!