Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Ticks me off when I have random thoughts of using.

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday and today I had just random thoughts of wanting to use. ARG how that feeling never goes away! I am 21 months sober from my previous relapse that I did after a year of sobriety. Thank goodness my crazy thoughts last only about 5-10 minutes. I can just imagine my self using again.

Then I go one step further and think about my cold turkey withdrawals. WOW don't want to feel that way again. Nor would I want to lose my sobriety time. It just is something we all have to battle daily. Just got to be grateful for the things that I have fixed and how my life is better without spending thousands of dollars on drugs and chasing the high!

Hope everyone stays strong and has another sober day.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Like happiness! Unfortunately we will have cravings. Some days worse than others! You better feel very good about yourself today! You handled those perfectly! Our addict brain wants us to forget those things doesn't it? But you did not! You played that tape all the way through to the end. Good job! Congrats on your 21 months! That's awesome!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fish swim, birds fly and recovering addicts will occasionally think about their past habits. There's just no two ways about it. We're sure not going to fantasize about milk shakes. That's not who we are. What we do with these thoughts is within our control though. I myself have been choosing freedom for the last 17 months after being hooked on opiates for ten years. I still think about that crap regularly. I can't stop the thoughts but the follow through is all up to me and that bait is no good and doesn't work on me these days.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After almost 3 years in recovery, I honestly do not think that a day goes by that I have at least a fleeting thought of the pills. The great thing is that the more time that passes, the less time the thoughts last. However, I still could not make it if there were pills in the house. I do not think I ever will be able to resist. At least I know this fact.
Congrats to all who are several years or several days sober; still it is a one day at a time process . . .forever! And, thanks for SR for being here for all of us