Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Has any of you had success tapering off hydrocodone?

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive went back for forth with Norcos 10/325 I love being on them like everyone else in my situation im sure but unlike most people when I decide to stop I just stop and thats it I deal with the withdrawl.

The reason I got back on them I had another surgery and I told the Dr. about it before had he said he would give me percosec (spelling) and I should be fine. well that was the furthest thing from the truth anyways im back to downing them like candy anyways a few days ago i decided I needed to cut way back and I'm down to taking 4 halfs a day am, lunch, dinner and bed anyways I'm having very minor withdrawl and zero high feelings but I still have cronic back pain thats why I got on them years ago I had a major back surgery and have rods in my back and the pain is horrible.

Anyways my question is these withdrawls im feeling now do the go away if i contuine with my 4 halfs a day to the point where i don't feel withdrawls or im I further off just saying screw it and go cold turkey again?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I could never taper hydro no matter how much I wanted to. Most people have trouble with that since the temptation is too much to deal with. CT was the only way for me.

I would think that if you stayed at where you are for awhile, it will normalize there. You are in wds because you lowered your dose and the receptors are not getting what they are used to. The trick would be not giving in to taking a little more here and there. Can you do that?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredEnough View Post
The trick would be not giving in to taking a little more here and there. Can you do that?
at the moment yes for a few weeks at least past that i doubt it
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello fellow fordman, i like fords too

i dont know, but if was in your shoes i tell my doctor about my history. i never had surgery to my back so i dont know the pain but i have know many how have. most say they have long history of pain some rare to daily chronic pain.
but i tried taping alcohol to stop so many times and it did not work. finally i just stopped cold turkey and fought the need to drink. that is what worked for me and i have been successful for 11 months now..
hope your back heals successful and good luck Bro.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok. Honestly, at 2 pills a day, I would just flush them and jump off. They are probably not doing you much good and are just dragging the wds out. Just my opinion.

I was on Norco for back pain too. The severity went way down after I was off the dope for awhile. Our stories sound similar. I was switched to percs but came back to Norco.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredEnough View Post
Ok. Honestly, at 2 pills a day, I would just flush them and jump off. They are probably not doing you much good and are just dragging the wds out. Just my opinion.

I was on Norco for back pain too. The severity went way down after I was off the dope for awhile. Our stories sound similar. I was switched to percs but came back to Norco.
yeah the two pills a day i just started two days ago lol and even with that im having the sweats, the no sleepling, the sleeping is horrible i don't know what you guys find the worst but around 2 am i wake up and just feel like my skin is crawling and i need to walk around and like fling myself around in bed lol i hate it anyways yeah ive been thinking about that just saying screw it and get rid of them.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The worst for me was the RLS/knee pain and insomnia that came with it. I DESPISED that part.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ford!
So sorry you've been suffering with pain and surgeries! That sucks! I have to agree with TE that if you are only taking 2 a day you might as well toss them and go ct. You are WDing anyway and only delaying the inevitable. After 4 or 5 more days your body will adjust to the lowered amount but then when you step down again you will go another 4 or 5 days again. Each time you step down you suffer. Toss them out and suffer 4 or 5 days and its over! You know what I mean? You are just drawing out the inevitable. I doubt it will be that much more severe if you just jump off now. Trust me 4 or 5 days and the worst is over. After that you will probably be a little lethargic, anxious, or depressed but it does get better! Read some of the threads here and you will see that each day you are off those you will feel better.

Personally I could never taper. Not without someone doling the pills out to me. Quite frankly it was misserable each time I stepped down. Next time, hopefully there won't be a next time, only take the pills for a few days after the surgery and then try to control the pain on a large prescription strength Motrin. Honestly, OTC's do work better than a lot of these oppiate pain killers.

Another thing if your doctor gives you a script for anything and tells you it's non addictive do your HW. Google it and check if there is a potential for abuse. One time I fell and hurt my back and the doctor prescribed me tramadol. He said this is non addicting and blah blah blah! Trams are very addictive and hell to come off of! You would think these doctors would know more about the meds the prescribed. Remember be careful with tramadol! Docs love to prescribe this for back pain.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anyone ever take flexeril while going through this to help with the pain and sleeping
Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I occasionally take flexoril for back pain that interrupts my sleep these days. I take it rarely....as it's a bit hard hitting on making me feel off kilter the next day. It's a muscle relaxant so if you have sciatic pain, disk problems and all that comes with those, like I do....yes I take it. When I say rarely I'm thinking...eh...maybe once a week am I that desperate.
Cheerrrzzzz
Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you spoken to the prescribing Dr, Fordman?

Just a reminder of the medical advice rule here guys
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a fine but definite line between wanting to know about others experiences and asking for specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR
Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ford, yes I did. It did help a little to relax my leg muscles and put me to sleep in the very beginning. Unfortunately like everything else, I built up a tolerance to it and it stopped working for me. I hope you feel better soon and can get some sleep!
Take care!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have chronic pain too, it sucks, but it is better than living tied to those pills.

There is nothing wrong with telling your doctor you need some assistance.

So cold turkey worked for you before?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you spoken to the prescribing Dr, Fordman?

Just a reminder of the medical advice rule here guys

There is a fine but definite line between wanting to know about others experiences and asking for specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR

I'm already prescribed flexeril I'm just asking if it will hinder the cold turkey getting this stuff out of my system
Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only a Dr could answer that.

D
Old 10-27-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello fordman,

Everyone is different and not every situation is the same but, I tapered successfully. I was determined at the time (18 months ago) to lose my ten year painkiller habit. Just to be really different I kept a full scrip under my nose during the taper. I wanted the taper and the final kick into freedom to be on my terms. Not the drugs. I know I know, foolish and risky but it worked for me. A taper requires a ton of personal diligence and mental discipline so I'm sure it's not for everyone. My legitimate back pain increased a lot when I first quit but I attributed that to hyperalgesia. My pain is quite manageable now with zero pain meds. Not even Tylenol. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. Good luck in your journey.