Notices

Anyone successful with benzo taper?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone successful with benzo taper?

I am down to .5mg of Ativan after tapering for a few months from 2mg. Each time, I drop I get w/d symptoms that are scary.
Body shocks, palpitations, anxiety.
Anyone get off w/out long term effects?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Only real success is with the help of doc monitoring..It can be dangerous to do this by oneself.

I might suggest finding the literature which can be found in the rooms of AA or at Central Office titled "The AA Member Medications & Other Drugs" which addresses this

We can share our ESH but we are not professionals and each person's experience and chemistry is a bit different as is the withdrawal expereince--so it is important to seek out the help and assistance of the professionals such as your own doctor and to be honest with them and ask for their help.

Peace on the journey my friend
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, JAM. It is always best to see a doc.

Having said that, I did not have the option so I did it at home without support. I jumped from .75 Ativan after a rapid taper from 3mg on average a day. Before the Ativan, I was on Valium for several years. It's been a couple of months and I am ok.

I had all the symptoms you have and a few more. It's avery scary time for sure. It's generally thought that the lowest amount you can cut to before jumping will ease the symptoms. Jumping from 3MGs nearly buried me. .75 was easier.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input.
I know each time I go down what to expect now but it is hard. I get scared & hate feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin.
I get depressed but I know it passes. The muscle pain, etc.
I am scared if when I get off completely. How long until I feel normal?
I just want to be done w this garbage & feel normal but I know I can't rush it either.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have seen my doc. He told me to jump from .5mg & I'm not ready. I will half it & go from there. It takes me 2-3 weeks to level back out each time I cut a dose.
I'm tired of feeling emotional & out of touch.
I just want to run away from life. I have zero motivation.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a good plan, Jam. If you can get to .125 with a doc's help, you should be ok. I only jumped at .75 because I ran out after only two weeks of taper. What I did was not smart but I survived. I think you are going to have some wds but nothing you can't handle.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement.
This is the toughest drug I've had to get off.
The mental part is brutal but I will get off, I can beat this beast.
I will be free!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jam it looks like your doctor put you a good taper plan. I know it's rough. I did a very quick taper. In fact it can't really be called a taper because I did it over the course of a couple weeks or less. I would have done a proper taper if given the choice. Any way I had very strange WD symptoms. The body shocks were probably the worst along with the brain confusion. After a couple of weeks off most of those went away. I've been off it for 8 months now and rarely even have anxiety and panic attacks which are the reasons I was prescribed it in the first place. Probably, the only symptoms which lingered a little longer than 2 weeks were insomnia, lethargy (could have been from the lack of sleep) and a little anxiety. But all those things are gone now. You're doing the right thing getting off the benzos. Those are very nasty pills! In fact, I've read here recently that they are responsible for violent outbursts especially when mixed with alcohol. It seemed to me that they didn't do much for my anxiety and panic attacks anyway. They were just a bandaide that I used to calm myself during an attack. I believe they kept me from learning natural ways of dealing with my anxiety and panic attacks. Since I've been off them I use meditation, deep breathing and self-soothing talk techniques which work much more efficiently. Has your p-doc taught you any natural ways to head-off or relax during an episode? One thing I recommend is fish oil. It is a natural mood stabilizer. I really feel the difference since I've started taking it. There are other natural remedies that could help you but not sure what they are off hand. Perhaps someone reading this could recommend some.

Congrats on your taper and glad you are here with us!