Notices

Pain killers after surgery

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain killers after surgery

Hi guys I have not posted in a while. I have emergency surgery on my appendix. It will be two weeks on Tuesday. Well I just stopped taking the norco that was prescribed for me yesterday and today I am showing mild but uncomfortable symptoms of withdrawal. Could this be? How long do you all think it will last? I was even craving them and my addicted mind was like where can I get some more. I do not want to take any more. I have to go back to my internship on Monday and they are very strict! Any help would be great!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's totally normal to have some symptoms, but likely after a couple of days the worst will be the withdrawals going on in your head.....
if surgery was 2 weeks ago I assume you took the pills as prescribed? that's awesome and means your addict mind hasn't won this round - if it were me I would have had them gone in a day or 2.....
Keep in the mindset that you don't want to take anymore. Don't let the addiction win.
I know, easier said than done, but you also know it's not worth it.
hope you get through the night and feel better tomorrow. Withdrawals are never pleasant no matter how mild they are.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

JUST DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE. you will feel fine in a few days, drink LOTS OF WATER.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Angel good for you for taking them as prescribed! Like Klynn I would have had those polished off in a few days! You probably won't feel too uncomfortable for too long, since its only been a couple of weeks. The worst should be over by the 4 or 5 day. Congrats on getting off them ASAP!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the support!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had been sober 11.5 years. had heart surgery...took 180 perc's "as prescribed" in 2 months. relapsed within 3 months after. that was over a decade and at least 50 relapses ago. those perc's I found out later have a similar chemical makeup to alcohol...those f'n pills lowered my resistance, aqnd I didn't even know it.

should have known...they had me flying. as prescribed had me feeling entitled I guess.

my best to you, Angel.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

any you have left, flush...flush them down! do it!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IWILSAST, you tell the same story as me. I was 10 years clean and sober and fell off with a single pill. The problem was that there were still 9 in the bottle and I took them all in a single day. Then I was off and running for 3 years until someone helped me put a stop to it.

Grit your teeth Angel and the withdrawals won't last too long. The desire has been aroused, however, and will take a bit to wear away. It is a bit like starting over. Don't give in or it really starts over again.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I am so lucky because I have never had a problem with pills or other drugs, which I need for arthritis. But I only use during flare ups, so can take or leave them which is really odd considering my penchant for booze. I suppose I can just thank my lucky stars because I couldn't bear being in terrible pain. It must be so tough. xxx
Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I'm feeling better but not great. I'm still kind of restless and I'm moody lazy and craving Booze right now. Last night in church I was hot and cold. I think that was the worst of it. But I hate cravings I'm also craving those pain pills pretty bad too. I hope this passes. I don't want to go back down that road!!