Notices

Who is this person I've become?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who is this person I've become?

I used to feel kind of like a bedraggled coyote skulking through life. Now my family hardly recognizes me. By the grace of God I have changed so fundamentally, I hardly recognize myself. When I started this journey all I wanted was to "just stop drinking". But there is so much more on the other side of sobriety. . . . I stop here almost every day and pray for all the newcomers. Hang in there. It is *so* worth it.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a lovely post AlefVavResh. I'm happy you're feeling so positive. I worry that the newcomers will become frustrated & give up before they get to feeling this way. Thanks for the reminder to stay the course.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this inspiring post. Every day, I look in the mirror and don't recognize who I have become, but not in a good way. I'm so very tired. There is no sparkle in my eyes, no sincerity in my smile, no joy in my heart. I am looking forward to seeing who I become without alcohol.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alef,
great post. I could so relate to the changes you have gone through. For me it was very up and down early in sobriety, I had been drinking for a lot of years and for my emotions to stabilize took time but along the way were the rewards of being sober that kept me going.

There is joy in my life, not the euphoria that I would sometimes get from alcohol but something more real and lasting and I don't feel the need to hold on to it,it comes and goes.

newcomers it does get better and easier but it takes time and effort. Fight those cravings, don't pick up that drink, each time you overcome those feelings you become stronger.

Hang in there everybody

Caihong
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I cherish my sobriety also for the peace it's brought me.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, and I agree with you.

I wanted to 'just stop drinking' too and I had no idea of where it would take me.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AlefVavResh-- I hope I can see the same transformation in myself eventually. I just feel like I have two monkeys on my back, so to speak--with the alcohol and the depression/anxiety. But I can't realistically deal with the mental illness until alcohol is out of the picture.

Thanks for the reminder that things (and people) do change...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No half measures

What amazes me is I didn't know what I didn't know. How do you explain a beautiful sunset or a cresting wave. I simply did not understand how bad things have gotten and I could not understand them until things have gotten better.

My life is still not perfect but sobriety has given me gifts beyond my wildest dreams.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great point, wakko, very well said.