Notices

Anybody else relate?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody else relate?

I know my main trigger to drink is being home all day on the weekends while my husband works. He's not a 9-5 type guy or a weekend shift guy, he's a total workaholic. I realize things are busy at his work now, but I really think he makes a choice to be away. He's gone from 7 am to 7-8 pm. He's a salaried employee/exec., not punching the clock.

So, it gets to about 4:00 or 5:00 pm, and I've been home all day with two young kids, and all I want to do is drink wine.

Looking for somebody to relate to this, some suggestions, alternatives. I can't really go out and exercise or take a bath or read a book or clean, because I'm taking care of the kids.

I'm better on weekend nights because I don't feel so alone. It is only the hours after their school and before their bedtime. And that is doable, for the most part, without wine. It's the weekends that kill me. Especially when everywhere I take the kids we see families out enjoying themselves ... and our family is always just me and the kids.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is coming from the perspective of the husband who wanted to be at home but had to work long hours. Companies expect more and more and more from us. They make us work long hours and beat the hell out of us. I've had many conversations with other salaried husbands who would say "I wish I were at home with my wife and kids". I realize this statement is presumptuous. I don't know you or your husband so please forgive me if I'm said something off the mark here.

I go to outdoor concerts where, in attendance, there are groups of women who do aerobic dance with their kids. They kind of use them as counterweights while lifting them and swinging them around in a small area. They do it for hours and are clearly getting a great workout. I think it's wonderful.

Two cents from an old guy who raised two kids which sometimes seemed like a relay race with a working wife.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right, Bruce, he would rather be home with us. And I used to work in a similar profession with similar hours, and I know how badly it sucks. I would never trade places with him. Thanks for reminding me of his perspective.

I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself. Things could be far, far worse.

I just need to occupy that time with something more than just the kids. Having a hard time thinking of something. Wine is my go-to. It seems to solve all my issues. (I know that is my AV. But darn if it isn't right sometimes.) (Ugh, again my AV.)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe hire a babysitter during the day for a few hours so you can take a bath / go for a walk? Sounds like you are on full time childcare all day long. Doesn't cost a ton to have some teen from the neighborhood come in for a few hours so you can take a nap.