Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Hi everyone,

I was going to wait until I had some reasonable success with my sobriety before I posted and introduced myself. Well, after reading so many supportive posts, I figured why wait.

I am a 44 year old married male with two daughters. One is a freshman in high school, and the other is in the 7th-grade. I work from my home office as a marketing communications consultant. Essentially I work for myself on behalf of my clients. Needless to say, this has been a great opportunity for me to get my drink on, not having that structured schedule.

I’ve had a drinking problem for probably the last 10-12 years. It started to ramp up about 8 years ago. Then it took off to “I’m a fully blown drunk” about 4-5 years ago.

It’s funny (not really) that my oldest daughter (then about 9) I think realized it first. Asking my wife why I was acting or talking different. Then my wife caught on and eventually my youngest daughter. Now, all my youngest has to do is glance at me from 25 feet away and she knows when I’ve been drinking. That's it for the day and/or night as she doesn't want anything to do with me for that day. Luckily, I’m still married and my children (while they hate me when I drink), still love me but, that will forever be reversed SOON if I don’t get help, stop drinking, get sober, and get into recovery. Same goes with my wife as my drinking has stripped me of being a husband and father that my family needs and they deserve.

BTW - I became an extremely heavy drinker at the end. About 20-25 oz. of vodka per day on most days. Chasing that feeling is what it became.

I have been to my primary care doctor, stopped drinking two days ago (10/7) and have a plan in place.

Sorry for the long winded post, but one of my goals is to put myself in a position to where eventually I can help others here as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - Sounds like you're doing all the right things
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome basketball, you have found a great place. There is tons of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and all the very best to you! Your family and holding on to it and their love is a huge incentive. The AA group I attend has several members who lost those in the process of their drinking careers and they still feel the loss many years later.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. I'm glad you joined us and are quitting alcohol. Life is better sober.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! What is your plan??
Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome - I joined this site recently so I would be able to talk to people who all feel the way we do. There are always so many people here to offer advice or just explore the site for all of its resources.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, good to have you with us.

So pleased you made that decision to quit before you lost too much
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. I too am a father who is sober for his family. Few better things to focus on than that. My kid, younger, also knows when my wife and I have drank and hates it - few things also are worse than that.

Stay strong, visit here and, like you'll hear from many members, make a plan.

Have you looked into Rational Recovery?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, basketball. This is a great site for support.

You're already helping others by sharing your story
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Looks like you're off to a great start, Basketball! I'm also 44 and I took my last drink over a year ago. I wish I'd have quit sooner but the last year has been pretty amazing.

Hopefully you're in a good place, too, changeiscoming. I hope change is coming for you and you can get control of your life. Drinking really is a prison for us, but we all have a key to open the gates and rejoin our lives.